Page 1 of 1

October Swap Meet and Open House

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:03 am
by dennysfishroom
Just thought I'd start things rolling on the October Swap Meet and Open House to be held at the Rogers on Saturday, October 18th, 2008. We'll run the Swap Meet from 2-5pm with hot dogs, hamburgers, and whatever at 5pm. It will be open to everyone with tables costing $5 as a donation to the club. You can swap, dicker or sell your excess stuff with whoever shows up. I will also be posting an invitation on the HASS site and the Oklahoma City sight. May even try the St. Louis club. It's a drive, but what else do people have to do on a Saturday afternoon? If it rains, we will have enough room for several tables inside. Details to follow. Please let me know if you're coming as we get closer to the date. Denny Rogers 479-359-0088

Re: October Swap Meet and Open House

Posted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:53 pm
by etheonut
Count me in!

Kevin

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:14 am
by Herpchat
Count me in and I will see how many from OKAA will join me.

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:46 pm
by dennysfishroom
I was going to post on the OKAA forum as we got a little closer. I'd love to have some of you come over. I'm not sure how much of a swap meet we'll actually end up having because it's our first, but it will be good to get to know you guys. We're really looking forward to meeting you. Denny Rogers 479-359-0088 fishystuff42@yahoo.com (dennysfishroom on your forum).

Posted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:47 pm
by Herpchat
I will post it tonight.

Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:55 am
by Herpchat
OK its posted on OKAA.

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:51 am
by Cairns
Hubby and I managed to get the same day off :D so we will be coming over.
We plan on bringing some things with us:

Used 20H Tanks
longfin & standard fin albino & brown bristlenose~~~~I have some very nice brown males in both fin types~~~~the albinos are all 1"-2"
Black Moscow guppies
Red Cherry Shrimp
L260 Hypancistrus sp. "Queen Arabesque" 1"-2"
Malaysian wood
Cholla
and assorted stuff

Looking forward to meeting some folks :D

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:42 pm
by dennysfishroom
Well, it looks like we've got 2 tables spoken for. Anyone else planning on taking a table? We've got probably 4 available here, and if we get more interest than that, we'll just have to have some of you bring your own card tables. See you all Saturday at our meeting at 7pm at the Rogers Police Department. Denny

Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 pm
by sskruzr
Sorry I won't be able to make it.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:51 am
by sumpnfishy
Neither will I. I guess my fellow manager's guard duty is more important or something :-)

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:48 am
by HiroPro
I'll try to be there. I'd like to bring some stuff but I don't know if it warrants a whole table.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:52 pm
by sskruzr
What is it? Maybe I'll buy something outright. :)

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:29 pm
by HiroPro
I'll have to sort through all my jun... <ahem> goodies to see what I need to purge. I need to sell a older 125G saltwater setup for my brother-in-law but I haven't got a price figured up yet - I'll just bring a listing for that.

I'll be bringing some GBR fry, clown killie fry, Endlers and maybe a few others. Maybe some plants too.

Posted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:41 pm
by dennysfishroom
Hey Corey,

If you can't make it, maybe you can get someone to bring some stuff for a table or share a table. It would be really cool if we all invited new people to come, also. Denny

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:50 am
by dennysfishroom
So far it looks like we've got 3 tables sold for the swap meet next Saturday. It would be nice to have a few more, as well as good participation by our club members. I think we've got 4 tables available, and if more people sign up we'll have to see about who else can bring tables. See you all Saturday for the October meeting. Denny

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:27 pm
by HiroPro
Denny - I guess count me in for a table.

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:30 pm
by HiroPro
October Swap Meet and Open House to be held at the Rogers on Saturday, October 18th, 2008
btw - it's going to be held at the Rogers ... what?

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:48 pm
by dennysfishroom
That's at the "Denny Rogers house". I guess it can be a little confusing with the my name being the same name as the city. The location will be in Garfield, AR. Denny

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:13 pm
by HiroPro
Would you mind posting a map to your place for those that haven't been before?

Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:29 pm
by dennysfishroom
I'll get something out next week. I'll have to send something to everyone who's planning on coming. Denny

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:58 pm
by paramedic07
is the meeting this saturday october 11 or saturday the 18th at rogers pd?

Posted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:20 pm
by etheonut
The meeting is this Saturday at the Rogers Police Station starting at 7pm. I will be bringing you some duckweed if you still want some.

Kevin

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:24 pm
by dennysfishroom
I couldn't figure out how to contact the St. Louis club, but if anyone knows how, please invite them to our Swap meet and Open House Saturday. Denny

Take Hwy 62 east from Rogers towards Eureka Springs. Once in Garfield, immediately after passing the Buss Stop, turn right on Hwy 127. Go 6 miles until you get to Slate Gap Rd.. Turn right and go about 100 yards. It's the first driveway on the left. You can't see the house from the street, so come on in.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:48 pm
by etheonut
Denny,

They have a Yahoo Group. Go to http://groups.yahoo.com and do a search for MASI. That should give back their group fairly easily. You will then have to join their group in order to post anything there.

Michael and I are both members. I won't be able to post anything until tomorrow at the earliest and with packing and leaving I probably won't get to it to be honest. Michael may be able to take care of it.

Kevin

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:39 am
by HiroPro
Is this open to the general public?

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:03 pm
by dennysfishroom
Anybody can come. Actually, we'd like to see a lot of people come just to introduce them to the club. It would probably make it more attractive to the people getting tables if more people came, also. Call me if you have questions or need directions.

Denny
479-359-0088

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:08 am
by dennysfishroom
I sure hope that we have a good turnout from those of you who are on the forum, but maybe haven't made any of our meetings. We would like to show you what a club is all about, and how much fun we do have at our events. We'd also like to get to know you so we have a face to go along with the forum name. Several of our members do have commitments that they can't get out of on Saturday, so it would really be nice for the others of you to step up for this event. Hope to see you all on Saturday. Denny

Posted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:14 pm
by sskruzr
Hopefully I got the ad to the daughter in time for tomorrow's paper. If not, it should be in there Saturday while I'm in Sioux City. Hope it's a good turn out.

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:48 am
by Herpchat
OK how about a map and maybe name tags would be a good idea.

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:13 am
by dennysfishroom
If I knew how to add a Google map it might be helpful, but I don't. Assuming you can get to Rogers, AR on I - 540 north, take exit 86 east (right) to Hwy 62 (signs may say Eureka Springs). Stay on Hwy 62 into Garfield. The Buss Stop restaurant will be on the right. Immediately after the Buss Stop take a right on to Hwy 127. Stay on Hwy 127 for about 6 miles. When you get to Slate Gap Rd. turn right. Go about 100 yards and my mailbox is the first one on the left. The driveway is about 150 yards long and just park along the side of it. We'll be downstairs (the lower drive). If you run into problems call me at 479-359-0088. Our address is 12310 Slate Gap Rd. My GPS can't find me, so you can use the intersection of Hwy 127 and Slate Gap Rd. for a reference. Hope to see you and lots of others. Denny Rogers

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:41 am
by Herpchat

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:02 pm
by etheonut
Good news, I should be there for the full deal. My plans that were going to interfered have been cancelled.

I do have fish to distribute from the trip that people requested including wild killifish and sailfin mollies.

Kevin

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:34 pm
by dennysfishroom
I did have a call from a lady looking to downsize to a 30 gallon or hex. Susan from Oklahoma was going to bring some tanks, but she has to work. If anyone else has a suitable tank, you may want to bring it. Still don't know what kind of turnout we'll have, but it's starting to look like it won't be just Kenna, Gail and I. Denny

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:57 pm
by Herpchat
So any petshops or anything of the sort we can hit while we are up there?

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:30 am
by dennysfishroom
There are 3 shops in this general area. Worlds Under Water at 2105 Creek View in Johnson (between Fayetteville and Springdale), Exotic Tropicals at 115 N. Dixieland in Rogers and Saltwater Depot at 1400 SW Susana St # 16 in Bentonville. These are all LFS's and each has their own unique types of fish. There are 2 craft fair kinds of things going on in Rogers this weekend if that's of any interest to you. One at the Hammond Center across i-540 from the Pinnacle mall and another at the Frisco Mall on Walnut/Dixieland. See you this afternoon. Denny 479-359-0088

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:41 am
by dennysfishroom
Just in case any of you check this before leaving for the swap meet, Slate gap Rd. has been closed since early this morning due to an accident just above our driveway. Hopefully, it will be open by 2pm, but if you can't talk your way into our driveway, you can park on 127 and walk the 100 yards to our driveway. We'll still be here. Denny

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:26 pm
by etheonut
And a good time was had by all. Thanks again to Denny and Gail for having us all over. I don't know how much trading and swapping of goods happened, but we sure shared some nice stories.

Kevin

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:06 pm
by dennysfishroom
We were happy to have everyone, even when it didn't look like we'd be able to get to our house because of the wreck on Slate Gap. We should probably discuss the swap meet at our next meeting to find out whether we may want to try another one later. Some things worked and some didn't, and if we're going try again, we should probably try at a more central location. We can discuss what your observations are in November. Denny

Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:10 pm
by pinkrblu
We had fun, too. We drove through Roaring River on the way home and watched a fireside ranger presentation about Ozark witches and other spooky lore. Lots of fun!
Thanks, Gail and Denny for being such gracious hosts and not strangling me for bringing Mattie and Hannah!

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:10 am
by Herpchat
I would like to thank Denny and his gracious wife for having us all out to his place tonight. I enjoyed it and the people. I would have liked to have talked more but I had an engagement to get to. As it ended up I was home 15 min before I had to head back out again.

I would also like to thank Denny for the pleco females but of course when I got home I discovered I did not need them as my questionable female was no doubt a female and I had about a score of baby bushynoses swimming around the tank and I had also discovered that one of my hermaphroditic crayfish was in the same tank and was full size. It is a good thing they are totally fish friendly. So I put Denny's bushynose in with another group I was raising up that I had obtained from Adam of HAAS.

After I got home from my GFs party I discovered that my peacock gudgeons had hatched. I had been trying to find peacock gudgeons for quite a while but since they are $10 each I did not want to buy 6-8 to get a pair so I scoured store after store trying to find a sexable male. I found one in I think it was Pet land in Lawrence Kansas when I was up there and I bought it. I also remembered I had seen a sexable female at Premier Aquatics in Tulsa so upon my return to Tulsa I went in and bought it and as soon as I put the two together they went nuts, I had never seen so much displaying. Well it all paid off as I found fry tonight.

This morning I have a lot of moving around to make the perfect enclosures for the mummichogs and the banded killifish. Thanks Kevin. Apparently breeding the mummichogs should not be that big a problem so we shall see.

More later.

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:49 pm
by pinkrblu
Here is a link to the news story about the wreck Saturday. Our prayers go out to the family of Mr. Harvey.

http://www.nwarktimes.com/adg/national/240684/

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:25 pm
by dennysfishroom
Thanks, Kenna. We didn't see it in our paper today. That being said, I guess we had ties to both as we heard about both in church today. Small world, I guess. Denny

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:37 pm
by Renegade545
Thanks to Denny for hosting the swap meet, your fishroom was great.

I had a lot of fun talking with everyone and looking at denny's fish, as well as taking pictures. It was great meeting every, and i hope to see some, if not all of you again sometime.

Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:21 pm
by HiroPro
Thanks Denny for hosting. I had a good time and enjoyed seeing your fishroom.
I look forward to having another one.