Anyone Keep Empire Gudgeons?

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
slimbolen99

Anyone Keep Empire Gudgeons?

Post by slimbolen99 »

The wife gave me the green light to setup the 38 in the livingroom! I have four Hypseleotris compressa (Empire Gudgeon) from Dr. Steve Thronton. Anyone have any suggestions for dithers? Was thinking about a few rainbows, threadfins come to mind. Not sure. Also, anyone have any suggestions on raising fry (should I steal the eggs when they are laid, or let papa take care of them?)

As far as plants, the following are in there:
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Ceratopteris thalictroides (floating)
Hygrophila corymbosa ‘Angustifolia’
Hygrophila polysperma 'Varie'
Sagittaria subulata

Here are some pics of the male Hypseleotris compressa (Empire Gudgeon). The females are pretty drab, and much different size and shape. Look more like pencilfish or killies to tell you the truth. The males, however, are probably one of the more beautiful fish in my fishroom. He's actually a little more red than orange, of course the camera doesn't seem to capture the extent of his color. Hopefully I'll get some fry out of these guys!

pinkrblu

Re: Anyone Keep Empire Gudgeons?

Post by pinkrblu »

Very nice! I have no knowledge of these fish what so ever... so will keep my comment to "Very nice"! Congratulations on having a great wife!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

beautiful fish, never heard of them. I kept some Peacock gudgeons awhile back. I ended up stealing the clutch and raising them in a bare tank. Gerald Griffin and David Stewart in our club had them breed and guard their own and had hundreds of fry. I had Pseudomugil gertrudae as dither's for my peacocks but the peacock's ended up withering away on me for some reason. they seemed to tolerate the Pseudomugils though. If you come to our FOTAS event this next month, I'll have my colony of gertrudae at the auction (hint hint).. Kyle
Okarche, OK
slimbolen99

Post by slimbolen99 »

The peacock and empire gudgeons are really different in terms of their body shape and color. I'd like to try the peacocks sometime as well.