My GBR doesn't look so hot.

Diagnosis and treatment
HiroPro

My GBR doesn't look so hot.

Post by HiroPro »

I've got a pair of German Blue Rams in my 55G tank. They've been in there for about a months now and have been doing good. They've even spawned twice but I haven't been able to rescue the eggs.

Last night I noticed the female was very reclusive and normally she's right beside the male. Then I noticed one side of her face was discolored. It's black ranging from her gill to her mouth. Even her eye is black! Otherwise she appears normal. No swelling or bulging. She's eating and the rest of her color is good, and her belly's pink like she's ready to spawn. I'm just not sure what the black coloration is all about.

Anyone have any suggestions??

-------------------
Ryan
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Ryan,

Can you describe the black in any more detail? Does it look like the skin pigment is now black or is it something covering the skin itself? Any changes in the tank conditions at all?

You have me stumped so far.

Kevin
HiroPro

Post by HiroPro »

It looks like a pigmentation change. It's not a coating or covering of the skin but appears to be under the skin.

Ryan
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

Could it be bruising? Maybe a burn from a heater?

I am in no way qualified to answer. I'm just brainstorming.
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Maybe spousal abuse? Any way a rock or other ornamentation could have fallen and injured her? Although, I would expect to see some redness or damage, not blackness.

BTW, Rams take really good care of their eggs if they can keep the other fish from eating them. Mine had problems keeping the danios and catfish from eating the eggs, but keep everything else away. You might consider moving either the pair or the fish that are eating the eggs to another tank to allow the happy family time.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
HiroPro

Post by HiroPro »

Well, here's an update. I came home from work today and saw her laying on the bottom of the tank dead. :cry:

Yesterday, she was paler than usual, sluggish and still had the black coloration on the side of her face. I'm not sure what happened. Pretty disappointing since they seemed to be a good breeding pair and I haven't lost a fish in a long time.

Thanks for all your suggestions though.

Ryan