Leaking Metaframe

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
stpierce

Leaking Metaframe

Post by stpierce »

I was getting ready to go with my 10 gallon metaframe, I had cleaned it, resealed it with GE silicone II and decided it might be good to test it for leaks and of course it leaks. I put a heater in it for a couple days to see if the old metaframe tar would seal it up for me with the heat, no such luck. Are there any other tricks I can try other than cut all the silicone out and try again?
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: Leaking Metaframe

Post by sskruzr »

Depends on where it's leaking. If it's leaking on the bottom, I've turned the tank upside down, heated the metal frame on the bottom with a paint heat gun, then turned it back over and stepped in it. Yes, stepped. It put enough pressure on it to seal it back up. One other thing, when I silicone the bottom to the sides, I sand the slate with a sander to rough it up. If it on the side, did you silicone the entire seam.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

I think it may be leaking on the bottom. Not 100% sure but that seems to be where the water is coming out. If it fits would I be making a mistake to put it in the oven at 200 degrees for a while to heat it up? I don't really have a lot of other sources to get it warm other than turn the gas logs on and set it close to them.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I don't know about putting it in the oven. I've heard of it but never tried it. Is this your house or someone else's? Good luck.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

It's my house, and by my house I mean my landlords house. I did some more looking and I think I may be leaking from one of the sides. I still have plenty of extra silicone and a Rangers world series game to watch tonight, I'll just reseal it during the game.
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

Resealed the tank, let it dry for a couple days then filled it with water for a couple more. All looked well until I drained it and picked it up. Looks like I have a very small leak somewhere. I think I may try to borrow a hair dryer and warm things up. It's so close to being a good seal that I have some hope this time at least.