Ok crazy idea or awesome

DIY Projects or post where to find them
rpddink

Ok crazy idea or awesome

Post by rpddink »

I hav a eheim 2213 can filter...... my idea is to rig up a pvc bio tube on the intake line (to get more surface area for the water to passs over) but im worried that it will cause my canister not to pump back inot the tank. this diy can would be on the suction / intake side so im thinking it would make more head pressure for the pump going out. will this make it harder for the pump to pull the water over the lip of the tank?I try to post an idea of the plans
Last edited by rpddink on Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rpddink

Re: Ok crazy idea or awsome

Post by rpddink »

this is the plan
Attachments
filter idea.jpg
filter idea.jpg (19.65 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
filter idea.jpg
filter idea.jpg (19.65 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Ok crazy idea or awesome

Post by mewickham »

It will probably work, but the more the filter clogs, the harder the motor has to work. This might lead to failure. Remember that these filters are water cooled. So if flow slows too much, the motor can overheat and deform the the plastic around the impellor.

Also, will cleaning the prefilter break the intake siphon? If so, restarting the filter may be more of a pain than necessary.

Finally, you said "pvc bio tube." So I assume that the purpose is to increase bio-filtration. If so, you probably do not need it. Aquariums typically have plenty of nitrifying bacteria within the aquarium and within the canister filter itself. If the system is already handling the bio-filtration without this extra prefilter, adding the filter will do no additional good. The amount of nitryifying bacteria present is determined by the amount of ammonia and nitrite to consume. You can determine if your bio-filtration is already adequate by running ammonia and nitrite tests. If the numbers are not zero (and this is not a new tank that is still cycling), then you don't have enough bio-filtration. But if the numbers are zero, you are already fine.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

Ok thanks tis would be for a tank im still setting up (no water yet). I thought that the more bio area the better, thanks for the info I will not stress over it then! also any one have an opinion on the test kits I should buy? Sorry if Im asking dumb questions just trying to learn my stuff.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

The most important test kits are pH, ammonia, and nitrite.

pH: It's a good idea to know your pH in case the local water supply is at the extremes, making it difficult to keep certain species. Also, pH tends to drop over time as bio-filtration produces acids as a by-product. Seeing your pH drop is a sign that you are not changing enough water. (Never measure pH directly out of the tap, though. Aerate it first, or dissolved gases in the tap water can temporarily alter the readings.) It's a good idea to test pH weekly in new tanks, but once you get your maintenance routine down, you will likely see a stable number from week to week and find little further need to test pH.

Ammonia: An ammonia test kit is usually only necessary for the first couple of weeks in new aquariums that are still cycling. If you don't know what "cycling" is, holler back. The first week or so in a new aquarium can be critical because the helpful, nitrifying bacteria that break down ammonia (excreted by fish) haven't developed sufficient population yet.

Nitrite: Nitrite tests are also necessary only in new tanks that haven't completed the cycle. One group of nitrifying bacteria break ammonia down into nitrite, which is still toxic to fish. So as ammonia levels drop, nitrites tend to increase. Then another group of helpful bacteria break down the nitrite, too.

NOTE that ammonia and nitrite are not usually an issue in a new tank that is heavily planted. A good culture of helpful bacteria arrives on the plants themselves, and plants utilize ammonia directly-- preventing it from building up and preventing nitrite from ever being produced. In other words, there is no cycle. But if you use plastic tanks, the ammonia and nitrite kits are pretty much a necessity for safety.

Problems: Even though you may find yourself not needing the above tests on a regular basis, it's wise to check the parameters anytime disease or problems show in the tank. You can't tell if water quality is poor by looking at it. Chemical tests are the only way to be sure. Diseases often result when the stresses from poor water make a fish more susceptible.
Mike Wickham
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

If you want a bio-filter, I have a Pentair fluidized bed filter, good up to 300g for $20.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

Could I look at it at the meeting? Could you put other media in it?
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

Would like to put in the small glass bio balls
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Sure I can bring it to the meeting. It comes with a new bottle of sand.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Corey, if it's in good shape and she doesn't buy it, I need a picture of a fluidized bed filter. :)
Mike Wickham
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

Im male....... :oops: and old! :lol: But I think I would like to buy it.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Oops! I don't know why I thought that. I think I must have dyslexically read "pink" as part of the username or something. :oops:
Mike Wickham