Am i killing my fish?

Diagnosis and treatment
rpddink

Am i killing my fish?

Post by rpddink »

Move fish into diff. tanks. The new tank (A) was one month old and was home to three kuhlis and two small angels. Took the two angels (from tank A) and put them in the large tank (B) moved one fish from (b) to (A). new fish in (A) was slowly started hiding And breathing heavy. I did a 20 percent water cahange asap. no luck. next morning still gasping on bottom part of tank but up right and "in control". then at dinner I hear look and the fish is looping and freaking for about 10 sec. sucked up to filter --- done .....

Iced her. Is this an ammonia thing? this is the second fish this has happened to... other fish seem to be fine.

are they all going to die?

Oh had water checked yesterday and water was great only thing was 10ppm nitrate.

Oh i did put in stress zime+ to both tanks before the "swap"
snakeskinner

Re: Am i killing my fish?

Post by snakeskinner »

one month old as in freshly set up with totally new equipment? If so, I bet the cycle wasn't done on that one. Was tank B just set up as well or was it already running? it very well could be ammonia. I've heard Stress zyme and some of those other products can skew any test results so that you may not know whether or not they are correct. how was the water test done? A lot of shops are using those dip strips which I've yet to see be anywhere close to accurate, even if you havn't added anything that would make them read incorrectly. does sound a lot like "new tank syndrome" which would be ammonia or nitrite poisoning. If this is a freshly set up tank, I'm suspicious of that 10ppm nitrate reading because it would take awhile to get any nitrate numbers unless your water already has high nitrates.. Kyle
Okarche, OK