Orange Eyed Blue Tiger Shrimp

Crayfish, shrimp, snails, newts, frogs, turtles, etc.
doodlebug

Orange Eyed Blue Tiger Shrimp

Post by doodlebug »

Hi all!
Just wanted to share with someone who may appreciate. I bought some very small orange eyed blue tiger shrimp from "Greenisgood" on the planted tank forum.
I barely ever saw them at first. I thought I had lost them all for a while and then I happend to clean out the Tom's mini rapid cansiter filter and found all the shrimpettes in there! Very relieved at the time. Now today I was feeding them and noticed a very dark blue female who is carrying around a whole bunch of eggs. Hope she can carry them through.
rpddink

Re: Orange Eyed Blue Tiger Shrimp

Post by rpddink »

Thats cool!! I have some rcs that I only see in the morning. Lights = RUN AWAY!!!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I'm glad they are still around. It sounds like you might want to put a sponge over the intake of the canister filter!
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
doodlebug

Post by doodlebug »

Yup, I put some nylon around the intake and haven't had that problem since. I hope she doesn't drop her eggs. The lady I bought them from says it takes about a month for them to hatch, but you have to keep the kh below six. My question is how do you measure kh?
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

When I first got about 15 RCS online a few months ago there were about 7 females that began to hold eggs at the same time a few weeks in. I felt like I wasn't seeing any new shrimp around then I began to notice them everywhere. A couple months in and the colony has grown to around 50 after I have given a dozen or so away already. Hopefully you will begin to see little guys everywhere...because I want some. Those are really cool, good luck. I also have mine in a planted 10 gal with HOB power filter with no cover over the intake and they are surviving.
doodlebug

Post by doodlebug »

I would love to raise them to the point that I can share them! Funny thing though. I have tried the crystal red shrimp and have had no luck with them. They slowly die off. So far I've managed to raise them from really small shrimp. They are in a 5 gallon tank with a piece of driftwood that is covered in moss and algae. The only other thing I keep in that tank is cherry red shrimp. So, keeping fingers crossed!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

doodlebug wrote:My question is how do you measure kh?
KH is carbonate hardness. It's a German scale and the Germans spell karbonate with a "k." The measurement is in degrees or "dKH." So look for a carbonate hardness test kit. I assume the "6" in your message was dKH, but be aware that some kits measure in ppm calcium carbonate. Others measure in milliequivalents/liter (meq/l). These are all quite different. So you need to know what scale that 6 is measured in. 1dKH = .36 meq = 17.8 ppm CaCO3.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair