Marine Copepods/Marine Rotifers

Tasty nutrition for your fish
dennysfishroom

Marine Copepods/Marine Rotifers

Post by dennysfishroom »

Has anybody had any experience raising marine copepods or marine rotifers , and can they be fed easily to freshwater fish? I was wondering if it might be a problem with osmotic pressure. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
etheonut

Re: Marine Copepods/Marine Rotifers

Post by etheonut »

Marine copepods may live a couple minutes in freshwater, marine rotifers would probably die in seconds.

Freshwater copepods and freshwater rotifers are easy enough to culture, why bother with marine ones if you are just going to throw them in fresh water?

Kevin
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

What I saw for sale was for saltwater. The only advantage I can think of would be the possible safety aspects of not introducing any pathogens from freshwater into the freshwater aquarium. Not sure how important that would be. Also not aware of culture requirements of either type. Would these be any easier or desirable than other types of live foods? I really don't know. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

They are more difficult than their freshwater equivalents because you would have to obtain and feed "marine" foods. You would also have to maintain salinity levels, they will be more susceptible to trace polluntants also because of the difference in osmotic regulation strategies between fresh and saltwater organisms.

Kevin