Introduction

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
amandarollman

Introduction

Post by amandarollman »

Hi my name is Amanda I live near Siloam Springs, just over the state line into Oklahoma. I have had a small fish tank for years and have just upgraded a bit too a 45 gallon hexagon tank. It is a beautiful tank and im interested in getting more fish. I currently have two mating angel fish. Im really interested in discus and have been interested and researching them for years. Im still pretty new to all of this even though i have had these fish for years im nervous to step out to a new breed but my tank is so empty. Im also interested in rams, I found one on somethingphishy.com called a bonsai long finned blue ram and im in LOVE with it. I also like other kinds of blue and rainbow rams. I have never had fish shipped and that makes me nervous so i would much rather get some fish from someone local.

I am also very interested in a heavily planted tank and am interested in acquiring more plants.

Amanda Rollman
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Introduction

Post by mewickham »

Hi, Amanda,

Welcome to the forum! We're always glad to add a new fish geek to the forum roster. We hope to see you at one of our club meetings, too. In fact, there's a meeting tonight, and the guest speaker will be giving a program on plecostomus. I'll also be bringing various plants which will go into the mini-auction, to be auctioned off cheaply, with all proceeds going to the club. It would be a chance to pick up a few plants at a good price. A couple of the species are not usually seen in stores. Meeting details are HERE.

I'm not sure I'd recommend discuss for a 45-gallon hex tank. They'd probably be happier with a bit more lateral swimming room. But it could be done.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
amandarollman

Post by amandarollman »

Thanks for the info Mike, i would love to come to the meeting but its too short notice for me to make it tonight. I will try and come but dont count on me this month. I would love to take part in an mini auction though, that would be perfect for me to get some plants.

I have heard that about the Discuss fish, thats why i was hesitant to get some but they are just so beautiful and my favorite freshwater fish. I found a guy that had 9 in a 55 gallon hex tank that was going to sell me a couple, i thought mabye since they were raised in a hex tank to start with they would be ok but i didnt move fast enough and they were sold to someone else. Wasnt meant to be i guess...
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Yeah, but when he says he has nine in a 55-hex, what size are they? These fish grow to about 9" in diameter. So nine small ones would fit. Nine adults would not.

I agree, though. They are awesome fish-- though a bit delicate. I like the wild types better than most of the tank-raised strains.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair