Need advice about filtertration systems

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
amandarollman

Need advice about filtertration systems

Post by amandarollman »

I have a 45 gal hex tank with 2 angles and some small plants. I plan to add more fish and plants soon. When i bought the tank it came with a magnum 350 canister and a penguin bio wheel 125. The canister isnt working right now, im thinking it needs new o-rings? I called marineland and thats what they said. It may need a new magnet for the impeller, its rough looking. The motor runs it just doesnt suck or pump water but the o-rings and seals are totally shot. I was using the penguin 125 alone but i started getting smelly water within a few days. So i added an old tetra 30-40 gallon filter to it, well that thing outdid my penguin and i liked it better so thats all im using right now. My question is.. should i put the money into fixing the canister ( $7 for rings and possibly $40 for impeller) or just get a new appropriate sized hang on the back filter. They seem so much easier and less work. I have always used a hang on filter and had no problems but with me wanting to expand my fish and plants im worried it might not be enough.
dennysfishroom

Re: Need advice about filtertration systems

Post by dennysfishroom »

Not to jump on you right away, but I've got some MarineLand Emperor 280 filter for $30. They are still new in the box, and I've also got 4-pak replacement filters for $10. Welcome to the club, and we hope we see you at one of our meetings or our spring auction. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
amandarollman

Post by amandarollman »

I just might take you up on that, that was one i was actually looking at to replace what ive got. I was hoping to maybe sell some of the other filters ive got to pay for a new one but we'll see. I do some research and see if thats the one i want and ill get back with you. Thanks!
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I would invest in the o-rings and and new impeller. Those marine-land filters have been a faithful filter in the aquarium hobby for years and years. I wouldn't be surprised if you replaced those pieces and it lasted another 15 years for you.

Kevin - who doesn't have anything to sell.
amandarollman

Post by amandarollman »

Thanks Kevin, good know they are so trusted. I think it will invest in fixing the magnum up anyways even if i dont use it, i cant very well sell it till its fixed up anyways. I have heard they are excellent filters, maybe ill run it for awhile after i fix it up.

Does anyone know if there is a local place that sells rings and things for these to avoid shipping costs?
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Look around, but also be aware that instead of shipping costs, you'll pay 8% or more in sales tax locally. The advantage is that you can at least see what you're getting. Denny
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Do you know how old the Magnum is? I would disagree on the dependability of Magnum filters-- at least, the older ones (over 10 years). When I was a retailer, we sold more repair parts for Marineland (Magnum) filters than any other brand. They were horribly undependable in those days. And I know that the impellor has gone bad on every Marineland power filter I have ever owned within a short time. Meanwhile, my Hagen AquaClears, Fluvals, and Eheims have hummed right along without problem.

A lot of the guys in the club say the Marineland filters are good now. So a new one may be more worth fixing. If it's an old filter, you may want to upgrade to an Eheim or Fluval. (For what it's worth, the club has a Fluval 305 listed for presale in the Buy-Sell-Trade section. If it doesn't sell before the spring auction, it will go to the highest bidder.)
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

And I have had more Fluval filters die within a year than any other filter I have owned. I guess it is all based on experience.

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

About three years ago, my dealer friends were telling me about one model in the line of Fluval filters-- I forget which one (404?)-- that was giving everyone fits. Hagen had to pull it and redesign it.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I have a 19 year old HOT Magnum and a few Marineland power filters that have passed the ten year mark. I don't care for any of the Tetra/Whisper filters and the only Rena filter I've had split down the side and almost emptied a 135 gallon tank. I've never used Fluval filters.
Michael
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Magnum 350s were always one of my favorite filters. I think Mike is getting old and has his memory of reliable filters mixed, sorry mike ;)

But if the filter isn't sealing, is the large o-ring tore? If not, slap some vaseline on it and see if that doesn't do the trick. I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for you.

Concerning the Tetra/Whisper HOB filters, I have around 10 or so of different sizes. Reliable and easy to service if need be.

Just my 2 cents.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

I have had a Fluval 304 that I got to repair and use. I spent about 20 dollars on parts and never could get it running right. When I looked online it had terrible reliability issues with everyone else. I ended up selling the whole thing for around $30 on ebay as parts. All that to say, if you actually want the filter to use for yourself, you can try parts. If it doesn't work, sell it all and you will probably recover all repair costs plus some.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

The club has that new fluval filter for sale at a less than retail price. All the bucks would go to the club also.
Corey Mohrhauser
amandarollman

Post by amandarollman »

Wow thanks for all the info. I have researched it a bit (google :)) and i find about all the same mixed reviews. Like i said i think it would probably be worth getting the parts for the magnum even if i decide to sell it. It think it is pretty old, couldnt really find a date on it but i didnt look too hard. I dont care for the tetra filters either it just out filters my peguin and the water quality is much better but its missing the lid and has water scale and residue all over it that i can get off so its ugly. Hard to have a beautiful tank with a nasty looking filter hanging of he back but it works for now. My funds are limited for my hobbies at this time, some hefty medical bills have consumed most of my extra fish money but i do plan to fix the magnum and still get a decent HOB filter to use.

@Sskruzr i will try the vaseline on the orings but i think there is a ring on the underside of the "out" side that is missing. There is a little groove there, looks like something belongs there. My
internet is down at my house so im using the mobile but when its back i will look at the marineland site diagram again and see.
amandarollman

Post by amandarollman »

The vaseline worked! Thank you so much for that tip. I think i will still replace the top ring because its torn and it leaks a little out the top when it runs so im hoping this is because the seal isnt perfect. I do think it is still missing a ring/ gasket on the top of the impeller exhaust tube but it runs without it amazingly. It is very powerful, im actually quite impressed. Im going to get some carbon and let it run for a few days and see how i like it or how the water quality is rather. With just 2 fish my water quality is excellent with very little maintenance but ill be able to tell quickly if it maintains that. Again, thanks!

Also, i have attached a picture of some parts that came with my tank and filter setup when i bought it. Does anyone know what this is? Its just clear tubes and 2 caps that have little filter cartridges that have carbon type media in them. Never seen them before ?

What are your opinions on just using the cansiter filter with no HOB filter or bio wheel? I have never used a bio wheel with these fish. Can you use just the canister and nothing else?
Attachments
get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
get-attachment.aspx.jpeg (131.69 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
get-attachment.aspx.jpeg (131.69 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Those look like parts (lift tubes) for an undergravel filter.

Kevin
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

UG filter??????????????????????????????? RUN AWAY RUN AWAY, toss them out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Corey Mohrhauser
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Forgive Corey, he is over reacting. I would simply burn them.

Kevin
amandarollman

Post by amandarollman »

lol thats awesome. It did come with a underground filter setup which i chose not to use. I thought it would be great but im kind of a clean freak and i was just trying to think how i would clean this and the parts, after thinking about all the things that could grow under this and that i could not get to it without uprooting my whole tank i left it in the box :) So that must be where these spare parts go. Thanks you guys are great.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Biowheels (or the competitors equivalent) do [provide biological filtration which the cannisters don't (usually). If you don't have much of a fish load on the tank, it probably isn't that important. If you increase the number of fish in the tank, you may want to add biological filtration. BTW, some of us are not freaked at the idea of UG filters. They can be used effectively if used correctly, and in conjunction with other types of filtration. Look up the 3 types of filtration that a tank should have, and you'll understand what I'm getting at. Denny