pelvicachromis taeniatus spawn, at last

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
stpierce

pelvicachromis taeniatus spawn, at last

Post by stpierce »

I was failing at netting out some betta falx in my planted 75 gallon today when I decided the tank needed a trim. I have had 7 pelv. taeniatus nigerian reds in the tank for several months with no spawn so I decided to move a coconut shell in my trimming session. Of course, I picked it up, the female darted out from in it and there were roughly 30 yellow eggs stuck to the inside wall. Hopefully I can grow some of these out in the community tank and share them around.
etheonut

Re: pelvicachromis taeniatus spawn, at last

Post by etheonut »

Now that is exciting news!

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Very nice! Congrats!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

Good job!
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

When it rains it pours (fortunately I am not referring to fish deaths this time). I am 95% sure I had a second pair spawn in a small clay put within 4 inches of the the coconut shell the original pair spawned in. Great news except that those 4 inches have become a battlefield. So my question is do you think it would be better to:
A. Let nature take it's course and leave both caves next to each other
B. Move the coconut shell which now has wrigglers wandering inside
C. Move the clay pot which will at this point most likely have eggs in it
I am leaning towards C right now but the only experience I have with egg layers is angelfish so I don't want to make a stupid mistake.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Any way to put a piece of glass between them?
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

Ockham'z Razor "the simplest solution is the best" I think I have a good piece of slate that should do the trick. Thanks.
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

Between the two pairs I think I have had 4 spawns and had still seen no signs of fry. So I got impatient and decided something in my community tank was eating them and that no fry could survive in there. So I netted a pair out and picked up there flower pot and thought, aha! no eggs in the pot, I knew you were stupid. At this point I realized the whole ground under the pot was wriggling. Great news so I moved everyone to their new home and mom and dad seem to be doing fine and caring for the young. Most interestingly though I found a 1/4" betta falx swimming around during all this. That is interesting because I never thought my falx spawned and they have not been in the tank for over a month... maybe fry can survive in there. Tried to take pictures of the wrigglers, no success.