Long Story made Short

Come here just to talk about everyday life and other non-aquarium topics.
etheonut

Long Story made Short

Post by etheonut »

One of my students is the daughter of a Missouri Conservation agent. I didn't know this.

She asked me about my fish collection. I told her about EVERYTHING that I keep.

He showed up last night to see EVERYTHING with a warrant.

At this point it looks like it will just be a hefty fine, but, lucky me, I will get my day in court.

Anyone know a good "wildlife" lawyer?

Mouser
rpddink

Re: Long Story made Short

Post by rpddink »

what is the fine for ? what law did you break?
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

The land of the free...

I hope the fines are not too great and that they do not take your tanks too. Hunting violators lose their guns too so I hope that does not relate to fish violations.

Jack
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

That'd be an oops! The one guy I know that backs up all aspects of conservation and makes sure you don't take more than you should or take things you shouldn't, he gets dinged. How ironic.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I LOVE you, Kevin... and I am hoping that the date has something to do with this thread...
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

They didn't find the Neosho Madtoms, Niangua Darters and the Ozark Cavefish did they? Please tell me the Devils Hole Pupfish were out of sight!!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I think I see some April fools.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I hope everyone has a wonderful 1st of April. I know mine has started out wonderfully.

Kevin
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

you are a little sick. Im always a sucker.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I've been wondering, all day, just when MODOC is going to send someone knocking on Mouser's door wanting to see the fish Michael mentioned!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I forwarded this thread to the Department of Conservation. Dreams do come true...

Wish this was chat night. :D
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I'll be putting a reminder on my outlook calendar for next year, "Whatever Kevin posts on April 1st, is a lie!"

I know we've done this a couple times before. :x
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
Keelo

Post by Keelo »

lol.....
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

April Fool's jokes can be fun, but one does have to be careful about what they post. An in-person joke among friends is no big deal, but written April Fool's jokes can haunt you forever or cause problems for others.

Some of you may recall that FAMA used to run an April Fool's article every year. The worst part was that it wasn't always identified as such. A friend of mine, who is the curator of a public aquarium, took the assignment to write the article one year and has regretted it ever since. You see, even though he identified it as an April Fool's joke at the end, a lot of people missed that part. He started seeing his ridiculous April Fool's statements being quoted as fact in other writings-- and attributed to him! After all, he was a trusted curator, wasn't he? He was worried it would destroy his reputation. Fortunately, this was in the days before the Internet took hold, so the damage was limited. These days, it spreads on the Web and is there forever.

Last year, there were floods in Rhode Island at this time of year. Many of you may recognize the name Lee Finley. He used to write columns for Aquarium Fish Magazine, is active in the northeast aquarium societies, and is an aquatic literature dealer. Lee probably has one of the premiere collections of aquarium literature in the world. Anyway, someone thought it was funny to say for April Fool's Day, since Lee lives in RI, that he got flooded out and his collection was destroyed. Hobbyists all over the country were distraught about it and sending Lee offers to send him boxes of books and magazines to replace his lost collection. I know poor Lee had to spend considerable time squelching the rumor.

So one should watch they joke about online on April 1st. Choose the subjects wisely. The people who read the jokes don't always recognize them as such, and aren't always around for the reveal. When not there in person to tease them about falling for it, one may unwittingly put false information out there that won't go away.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair