Needing shrimp council

Crayfish, shrimp, snails, newts, frogs, turtles, etc.
stpierce

Needing shrimp council

Post by stpierce »

I am approaching a new semester of school that will allow me to have a good amount of time to attend to my fish tanks. That being said, I have had much success keeping RCS in a 10 gallon and was thinking about adding (or replacing for inbreeding reasons) some different kind of shrimp. Does anybody here have experience with lower grade CRS or any other shrimp that they found to be relatively resilient?
stpierce

Re: Needing shrimp council

Post by stpierce »

Just in case anyone ever asks the same question in the future, I got into Tiger Shrimp. I am using about 20% RO water but have had great luck with these, took a little longer to get the colony going than it did with RCS but they are doing great now. I highly recommend them.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Why the RO water? I would think the shrimp would do better without it.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

i have found the crs to be much easier than peaple make it out to be and I do not use ro water. I see no need for it.
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

Oh crs also seem to be more aggressive than the others........................ :twisted:
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

Most of what I read seemed to think Tigers did best in a slightly acidic water, and my roomate bought a really nice RO filter for his saltwater tank. It's free to me, so why not?
rpddink, have you been able to breed some out? I have read so many more failure than success stories with CRS that they scare me. I don't know whether my next endeavor with be CRS or orange eyed blue tigers. Both are expensive enough to get into that I am trying to talk myself out of it.
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I have some that I call bee shrimp that have dull stripes. They seem to be hardy and I have plenty but I am in KC. I have some CRS but they have not reproduced that I have seen so far but i had some other fish in with them so they could have been food for the others.
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

I have a few orange eye blue tigers (6) that I had shipped in with a friend and they are great- no problems. They can not be kept with crs iirc. they mix .

unless you neglect them I dont see that they are hard to care for at all.

how big are the fish you will put them with?

a buddy has his orange eyes in a 2.5 and they are doing great

I think the orange eye blue tigers are the best looking shrimp.
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

oh yes i have had them berry out but I think my fish population eats all the baby shrimp up. I now have more cover for them so I think I will have more luck. If I get some I will be Happy to give you some!
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

Currently the only fish I have with them are a few Cory. Pygmaes and an Oto. I had some very small angelfish fry in with them for a while and I think they may have devastated the juvenile shrimp population. I have been doing a good bit of reading lately and it seems that more people have success with the OEBT than CRS so I may head that way as my next step.
rpddink wrote:oh yes i have had them berry out but I think my fish population eats all the baby shrimp up. I now have more cover for them so I think I will have more luck. If I get some I will be Happy to give you some!
Those better be fish that lay golden eggs, because those OEBT are pricey little guys. Needless to say I would love some if you get them to breeding.
rpddink

Post by rpddink »

I hear you ... im cycling a 10 gallon now to put them in. hope to get some soon