HAAS of KC 3rd Annual Swap Details

For discussion of upcoming events in NWA and beyond. Auction rules and registration forms can also be found here.
slimbolen99

HAAS of KC 3rd Annual Swap Details

Post by slimbolen99 »

Summer heat got your fish spawning like crazy? Need to fill up those new tanks?
How about joining us for HAAS of KC's third annual Swap Meet?

Where: Palmer Center, 218 N Pleasant St, Independence, MO
When: August 27th, 2011
Setup 10:00 to 11:00 am
Open to public at 11:00 am
Start teardown at 3:00 pm
Out the door by 4:00 pm

Buyer admission is FREE this year!

We have 30 tables available (almost half are sold already). Tables are only $10.00 each; they are the standard 8' tables I believe. Last year they ranged from $15 - $20 each...so this is a pretty good bargain.

Check out the details here:
http://www.kcfishclub.org/buy-a-sell/swap-meet.html

Or to register as a seller, go directly there (you will need an account on our site to register):
http://www.kcfishclub.org/buy-a-sell/swap-meet/seller-table-registration.html?eventId=9&controller=event&task=individualRegister

For more information, contact Mike Meyer at swap@kcfishclub.org or call him at 913.568.4014; or you may contact me at slimbolen99@gmail.com

See you there!
Brian
slimbolen99

Re: HAAS of KC 3rd Annual Swap Details

Post by slimbolen99 »

It was good to see Corey and Kevin today...okay, it was good to see Kevin. Corey, eh. :)

Kevin, what was the scientific name of those fish I got from you? My label fell off and I can't find it.

Hope you enjoyed getting sloppy faced...at the BBQ that is. Thanks for coming up.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Hmm, the Killies?

Those were Epiplatys dageti.

K
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

We had a great time. Unfortunately I came home with 3 more tanks than when I left. I was hoping to sell that 10g Metaframe but instead picked up a 10g Sternco, this is another metal framed tank from the 60s and I didn't own a Sternco. Then I got a 20g drilled acrylic for $20, couldn't pass that up. Then a 30g breeder with broken bottom for $5, another no-brainer, thanks Kevin. Also got a 48" light shell for a buck, some soft spiralina, and a 200g box of salt for
$30. Sold some things but found maybe the best new shop in the KC area. Olathe Pets in Olathe KS. This freshwater fish department is fantastic. The store is relatively new, but I saw no less than 3 sets of electric blue rams trying to pair and spawn in a tank, a breeding pair of angels that actually had babies from an earlier batch still in the tank and another tank with eggs on the front glass from a spawning group of corydoras. That tells me they are doing everything right. I picked up 5 lrg cardinals for $12. Fish prices were very reasonable. The tanks were all lightly decorated with live plants and very well kept. This will be a regular stop on our trips to KC if I'm driving.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I brought a few more things home than Corey did....
I think the Tahoe had more stuff in on the way home than it did on the way up there.

I got a great set of flower pots for $15...these look better than this deal sounds.
I picked 2 pair of Ameca splendens and 3 bags of plants for $15.
I picked up a bag FULL of A. thomasi for $0.... this hurt a little after buying a less full bag the night before for much more. It will be nice to have a good colony of mixed genetics though.
I got a couple pieces of driftwood, some bulk flake food, a sponge filter, more plants, a book, a cup of sweet tea...I could go on and on... believe it or not, I resisted a lot of stuff I wanted to haggle over....

I second that on Olathe Pets. Not only were the fish fat and happy, but the staff was very knowledgeable and skillful. The fish were in incredible condition. I purchased two female odessa barbs to entertain my boys and I swear if they were any fatter they would have been swimming upside down. They had a tank full of texas cichlids in full breeding colors. The only thing keeping that from being a blood bath was that it was packed full, and the gentleman helping us knew it. When I asked about a relatively rare livebearer I was rewarded with a discounted price because there were only two left in the tank. I just can't say enough about the service at this place.

The selection of truly exotic fish could have been better, but I will gladly trade clean and healthy for exotic any day! Plus, you guys know me, I am never satisfied with the selection.

Kevin
slimbolen99

Post by slimbolen99 »

etheonut wrote:Hmm, the Killies?

Those were Epiplatys dageti.

K
No, the bag of cichlids. I think they are nanaraca, but we were talking about nanochromis at the time.

I'm glad you guys went down to Olathe Pet Shop. That guy's store is great, and it's new too. He's taking it slow. There's an article in our upcoming newsletter about the store.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

oh oh, I had forgotten about those

Nannacara aureocephalus

Kevin