HAAS of KC September Meeting

For discussion of upcoming events in NWA and beyond. Auction rules and registration forms can also be found here.
slimbolen99

HAAS of KC September Meeting

Post by slimbolen99 »

HAAS of KC is proud to announce Mike Wise will be our program speaker for our September 17th, 2011 meeting.

Mike Wise has been an influential part of identifying various Apistogramma species over the last 20 or more years. He has written many articles pertaining to the proper ways to identify and group apistos. Mike most recently gave a presentation at the American Cichlid Association's annual convention on dwarf cichlids; and it is our honor to have him here in Kansas City to talk about apistos.

His program will either be "Breeding Apistogramma for Fun and Profit", or "Four Weeks in the Amazon: Adventures in Fish Collecting"; we haven't decided yet.

Additionally, we will have some apistos available for auction in our mini auction!

DATE / TIME:
Saturday, September 17th, 2011
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM

416 West Maple Avenue
Independence, MO 64050

Admittance is free! Refreshments are free!
More info: www.kcfishclub.org, or email us at info@kcfishclub.org.

Hope to see you there!

What are Apistos? They are a unique group of dwarf cichlids from various regions in South America. There are literally hundreds of species, ranging from extremely colorful to rather drab; domesticated strains are becoming ever popular as well. These fish can be kept in small tanks (10 gallons), or even large tanks in groups under the right conditions. Here are a few pictures to get your curiosity going.

sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: HAAS of KC September Meeting

Post by sskruzr »

I smell roadtrip!
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

A potential talk about collecting in tha Amazon or on Dwarf Cichlids, sign me up. Those are two of my favorite topics, now if only there was someplace to eat BBQ in Kansas City, it would be the perfect trip.

Kevin
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Mike is a great guy. He used to bring fish to the auction in Denver all the time and hang his head as they sold way too low! Haven't seen him in several years so I'd like to make it up there too if I can work it out.
Michael
slimbolen99

Post by slimbolen99 »

We'd love to see you guys there.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I'm planning on going, who's in? I can fit 3, this will include hitting Olathe Pets
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Apistos and the Amazon, I am in.

If Kenna and Ron want to go maybe we can be a second carpool. If not then I am calling shotgun! 8-) (not really, I am fine in the backseat).
im2smart4u

Post by im2smart4u »

I would love to be able to go, but I don't know if I can get off for it. I really like apistos, and have a couple of tanks in the works that I plan to build around them.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

There's a slim maybe that I can go. I think we'll be back from vacation then, but I may be sick of travel. So if anyone else signs up, put them ahead of me in line.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

You guys missed a great talk. Mike was very informative as usual. He brought 3 pairs of Apistos. Brian (slimbolen) wanted some so bad. He finally had to pay dearly to get the last pair! I picked up some cool stuff at the mini auction and later at Joel's house. All together I brought home 17 bags of fish!
Michael
slimbolen99

Post by slimbolen99 »

it was good to see you there mike. 15 dollars per apisto is not bad! :)