Syphon tubes

DIY Projects or post where to find them
dennysfishroom

Syphon tubes

Post by dennysfishroom »

I've been looking for my syphon tube for about a month now. I finally decided to just buy a new one. I was at Lowe's and they had various diameters of clear tubing. I decided to get the 1/2"ID tubing. I was looking at 10 ft rolls for around $6-7 when I noticed a roll for cut to length at $0.36 per foot, so I had him cut me 10 feet for a total of $3.60. Sometimes it pays to look around. I'm not sure who came up with that marketing idea. The only difference I could see was the pre-cut roll had 2 or 3 twist ties on it. Maybe it's because you can never find anyone to cut to length, and so people just give up and buy the pre-cut roll. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
sumpnfishy

Re: Syphon tubes

Post by sumpnfishy »

It could also be different kinds of plastic. I know I've bought tubing that worked fine pushing water through but sucking water through it with the python adapter collapsed it. Other tubing often works just fine. Or it could be just as you suggested and people are suckers for convenience.
Michael
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

As much as I can tell, they were the same, but I will admit that reading labels is something I still have a lot of problems with. Whenever I look down i'm looking right through the bubble. I can't wait till it's back to normal. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

It took me a second to figure out that you meant siphon hose, rather than siphon tube (which is the candy-caned shaped rigid plastic tube for filter boxes).

Possible reasons for price differences in the tubing is that one may be food grade (safe for drinking water), or able to withstand high pressure applications.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair