New Tank

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
dennysfishroom

New Tank

Post by dennysfishroom »

I just broke down and bought a new (for me) large tank that I'm going to make into a display tank. It's sort of embarrassing to have to warn visitors that my tanks are just for breeding. This tank is 7 feet long, and is probably around 135-140 gallons. It will be downstairs in our workout/hobby room (the only flat wall in the house). Now I have to decide how I'm going to set it up, and what I'm going to put into it. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Jackielee

Re: New Tank

Post by Jackielee »

Here is what I just did with a dirty old 135 gallon. Really looks and feels much nicer now that it is clean and landscaped. I am putting some schooling fish in along with some Rams some day and a few Discus. Kind of fun to do something a little showy for a change in the basement on a larger scale. Good luck with your tank. Jack
Attachments
SSC_6313.JPG
SSC_6313.JPG (217.2 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
SSC_6313.JPG
SSC_6313.JPG (217.2 KiB) Viewed 2337 times
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

You guys are making me want to set up a bigger tank!
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm hoping to finish up building my stand today for the new tank. I'll have to take some pictures as I go through all the steps. Once I get the stand built, I'll have to start re-arranging the workout room to accommodate the tank. I'll have to move the tank onto the stand (after painting the back), get glass covers, decide on filtration, and start filling it up. Once I decide on the decor, I'll have to build a hood for the lighting. That looks like a lot of steps, and I haven't even begun to think about what fish I'm going to put in there. Denny
tbalan

Post by tbalan »

If I could start a tank that size again, I'd go with a lightly planted all male Hap/peacock tank.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

That's definitely on my list. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Got the stand finished this week(unless I decide later to cover it). I was able to get the tank unto the stand with a little help from Gail, and have started to fill it up. So far 6 - 5 gallon buckets, and no apparent leaks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Denny
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Gail in traction now? I wouldknow, I helped haul it.

It won't get interesting until it gets around 3/4 full. If the bottom is gonna leak, should start by then. Got the shop vac handy? Keep us posted.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I'm taking it slow, so I may not know until tomorrow or Monday. I will have to say that the tank was very awkward to move. Gail's fine although she did sleep much of the day. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Had a scare on the new tank today. I'm up to about halfway filling the tank, when I saw some water around the bottom frame. Finally figured out that I had spilled some outside the tank as I was pouring buckets in (sigh of relief). I've got one of the Oceanic tanks with the glass center piece. Does anyone know if you're supposed to have the glass tops from the end to the middle of the center brace? It looks like it might not stay in place if you just went to where the glass begins for the center brace. This week I'll also have to start building the canopy. That should be interesting. Denny
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

As I recollect, there should be a piece of plastic in the middle of the glass centerbrace like an upside down T and the edge of the lid sits on this
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. Denny
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Corey's right. Separate left and right glass, resting on the plastic center strip.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

This is how my old Oceanic 100 is done. A picture if worth a thousand posts or words!

dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I decided I was going to build a halk canopy for the new tank. I started to put it together today, and decided to use the new nail gun I got for Christmas. Sweet. Now I don't know why I waited so long to get one. Now I just have to paint and stain it, get some bulb sockets from Corey, wire them up, and I should be in business. Denny