Aquarium of the Americas

Come here just to talk about everyday life and other non-aquarium topics.
sumpnfishy

Aquarium of the Americas

Post by sumpnfishy »

So I've been in Nawlins (New Orleans) for a Taco Bueno GM conference. The hotel was walking distance from the aquarium so before we left today I had to go. It was probably the most dissapponting aquarium I've ever visited. The low point was probably the Amazon exhibit with the synspilum, Pangasius and parrot cichlids. The coolest part of the aquarium was the free flight parakeets balcony with 750 parakeets. I guess that should be expected when it is run by Audobon!
Michael
Should have done the plantation tour instead!
Jackielee

Re: Aquarium of the Americas

Post by Jackielee »

Sorry to hear that. It used to be great before the hurricane.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I went to this one before Katrina. I used to rate it as the second best one I had been to. It was second only to the one in Tennessee.

Kevin
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Yeah, I thought about the Katrina aspect but kind of figured it had been long enough to recover. I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more if the exhibits didn't have fish that didn't belong there and had so many tanks mislabeled, but there were also a LOT of fish that looked malnourished which never impresses. I did see the largest Congo Tetras I've ever seen. There were Alestes longipinnis in there too and it looked really cool. Maybe a setup I need to do.
Michael
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

unfortunately a lot of aquariums are neglected at zoos and such... Dallas World Aquarium (downtown Dallas) is absolutely awesome if you get through there. San Antonio Zoo is really cool (especially the new hippo/malawi exhibit) and Tulsa Zoo has a really great rainforest exhibit with a lot of cool fish.. Oklahoma City Zoo is supposed to be completely re-doing their aquarium exhibits. I have my fingers crossed because they've really gone downhill over the years.. Kyle
Okarche, OK