LED lights

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

LED lights

Post by sskruzr »

Anybody have an idea or seen some specs on how many LED lights and type you would need to grow plants in a 20" deep tank? I see LEDs for sale any where from $50 to $300 but what's it take to grow some plants?
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
im2smart4u

Re: LED lights

Post by im2smart4u »

There are a lot of threads about it on plantedtank.net. Try searching or looking in the light forum over there. I know it takes a stronger LED. The LED fixtures at the stores, like the Marineland one, don't put out enough light.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Check with John W., too. He was trying to put something together himself. Don't think I ever heard the result, though. You could always use low-light like Java Fern and Anubius. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
tekwyatt

Post by tekwyatt »

I have bought the parts I believe I need for my 125G. Should be here in a week. I will be taking pictures and notes for anyone interested. Here is a link to a person that has already made this light fixture but I have not found much information as to how the plants grew after some time. http://aquariums.seaspraydesigns.biz/my-200-gallon-tank/diy-cree-xp-g-r5-led-aquarium-light-part-i/
I will be modifing the system to fit in my wood hood. More to come if there is an interest. My goal is to convert my smaller tanks to LED when the T5s wearout. This will be a later project, I know I can install 23W florecents like I am using on my 20G now, working great. But, LEDs look awesome.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

maybe we can have you do a mini-presentation at one of our meetings after you finish. I'm sure there would be a great deal of interest in this. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
tekwyatt

Post by tekwyatt »

I am not an expert by any means, but would be happy to tell what I know and help anyone that would like to build their own LED system.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Yes, that would be a good little talk. You could make it as short or as long as you want.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
tekwyatt

Post by tekwyatt »

I have been working on a few DYI projects that we could just make it a little DYI discussion. I have made a growing back plantscape with Java Moss. Also, a cover to the sump drains with other plants. This is all to test the LED system and the SHO florescent lighting in the 125 G.
We could make it a DYI night of discussions and I would be happy to start with mine. Let me know when, I am taking pictures of my projects to use.
tekwyatt

Post by tekwyatt »

A little update. My 125 led is up and running. I do add CO2 to hold my PH at 7.3 my plants are growing about an inch a day. I have a handful of plants every weekend that I cut out.
I have turned down the power now to see how low the LEDs Dan go and still grow bottom plants. As soon as I can figure out how to put picture on this site I will
tekwyatt

Post by tekwyatt »

Here are a comparison pictures. I am not very good at picture taking but you can still tell the difference.
Attachments
LED.JPG
This is the 125 g with LED at full bright
LED.JPG (95.71 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
LED.JPG (95.71 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Flor.JPG
This is the 125 g with three 125W florescence lights
Flor.JPG (92.1 KiB) Viewed 1883 times