Looking for a couple fish

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
spitz006

Looking for a couple fish

Post by spitz006 »

Are there any pet stores around that I can special order fish from? I'm looking for some fish that aren't normally carried and I don't want to order them online and pay huge shipping fees.

I'm looking for a pair of Peacock Gudgeons (tateurndina ocellicauda) and a few Brazilian Pufferfish (colomesus asellus)

Just curious if petco/petsmart or the local guys will order stuff for me. ..or if there are any local breeders of the above fish.
etheonut

Re: Looking for a couple fish

Post by etheonut »

You might check with guys at HAAS www.kcfishclub.org . You might find one or both up there.

Otherwise I know that Noah's Ark will special order fish. I would imagine Worlds Under Water will do that as well.

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Like Kevin says, I'm pretty sure that the Noah's Ark and Worlds Under Water will special order, but that's a species that is not commonly on lists. I saw some of the puffers at Aquatek in Austin, TX, when I was down that way last summer. I don't know if they still have any in stock, or if they ship, but if you can't find a local source, you might want to inquire. Aquatek is a really good store. It's been there, a long time and the owner has a special interest in South American fishes. He always has a great selection of them.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Both species were on the wholesale lists all fall.
I haven't checked the lists that I have access to lately.

Kevin
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

I believe Gerald Griffin in Tulsa has the peacock gudgeons so you might send him a shout. he goes by Herpchat on all the boards (this one as well as our own at www.theokaa.org). If he doesn't respond on here, send him a message on our forum. I will probably be coming over to Eureka Springs sometime in late March, early April and if you havn't gotten any by then, I could probably swing through on my way and pick some up from him. Kyle
Okarche, OK
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Just a reminder that Gerald Griffin will be our guest speaker in April (April 14th). Should you contact him, he will be at our meeting. Any chance you'll make our auction on March 31st Kyle? Just hoping. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

my goal is to make the trip over there the same time u guys have a meeting so that is a possibility. I won't know till much closer to the date. The two factors will be weather and my wallet.. last year I took her over there for her birthday and the second day there was a blizzard and we almost didn't make it out of Arkansas. Eureka springs had heavy sleet but it wasn't impassible. I made it out of the parking lot of the hotel (uphill in all directions of course) and into town and talked to the gas station attendant where I was stocking up with snacks and drinks just in case. She didn't have any information but said taking the highway South was a safer bet than going West so we headed South only to find the road had not been cleared and had very few vehicles pass. The snow was probably a foot deep on the road and there really was nowhere I could turn around so we blazed on through. That was the most "white knuckle" driving I've ever done for sure.... We got almost to highway 412 and there was a jeep turned upside down in the road so we could not go through. It just happened to be at the intersection of a short highway spur that looped to the East and South. Bad thing is, nobody had been down the road yet, at all. I ended up being first to plow through in our brand new Chevy Equinox with a trail of cars behind me. Fortunately about halfway through, I met a farm truck that had at least cut some ruts up the other half once we got around him so that helped to keep me on the road. Long story short, I'd rather not make that an annual event :)

Kyle
Okarche, OK
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

That gives you 2 options. We're having our auction March 31 and our April meeting on April 14th. Hope one of those works for you. Denny
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

I wondered what was March 31st...... I cannot find mention of it anywhere on the site....can you point me to where there might be some information about it? thanks, Kyle
Okarche, OK
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Go to "club business" and then "auction". That's for a poster, but we'll probably be putting the regular announcement up soon. Denny
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Taking care of posting it right now. Look for auction info in the "Events" message section or follow this link:
https://nwaas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2558. I'll have it up on the homepage shortly, too.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

thanks.... I thought I had remembered a spring auction talk but didn't run across that post when checking dates. I ran the idea past my wife and she didn't totally give me a go to H$## look so looks like we'll probably be able to make it for that. I'll post over on there..

sorry for hijacking this post spitz006.... However, if you do want some fish from Gerald, please arrange with him and let me know and I can pick them up on the way through. Or, maybe he'll come himself.. Kyle
Okarche, OK
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

Since I was never contacted he must not have wanted them that bad.

My little colony is maintaining and I sent a pair to Richard for spawning.

They are one of my favorite fishes.
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA