can you glue a tank frame?

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
billandkerri001

can you glue a tank frame?

Post by billandkerri001 »

Hello everyone. I am setting up my old 40 gal that has been stored for awhile. After I got it all cleaned up I found some cracks in both the top and bottom frames. I have allways replaced a broken frame in the past. With all of the super glues on the market these days has anyone tried to glue a cracked or broken frame?
Bill
40 Gal Long Tank
New setup will be all Native Fish
Plants,Rocks,and Substrate.
Jackielee

Re: can you glue a tank frame?

Post by Jackielee »

Should be able to. For strength you might get strips of acrylic or plastic and glue them to the cracked areas to pull them and keep them together. Good luck.
billandkerri001

Hey Jackie thanks for the reply. I have never repaired a frame before I allways replaced it.. With all of the super glues out there now I am curious if they would work. Its something to think about. I can get the frames for 13 dollars each and 15 dollars shipping.
Bill
40 Gal Long Tank
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I wonder if the model airplane-type glues-- the ones that actually melt the plastic pieces together-- would work.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
billandkerri001

I dont know Mike I had not even thought of that glue. I have the Gorilla glue super glue. No part of it will be in contact with the water so no problems there.
Bill
40 Gal Long Tank
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

there are a lot of 2-part epoxy type glues that should do a great job. the drawback is that they usually come in a larger container that isn't cost effective to use a small amount. If you had enough tanks with cracks you could make it worthwhile. I'm not sure about any of the tubes of glue that would be strong enough.. I've used several products for automotive applications that I'm sure would work but they are not cheap. Kyle
Okarche, OK
billandkerri001

Good Morning Everyone! I usually dont repair I usually replace a frame if it breaks or cracks but as I stated I am curious with all the new SUPER Glues out there. I am trying Gorilla Glue Super Glue. I glued a peice of plastic that is similar to the plastic used in making the frame and broke it then glued it back together,let it set for 2 hours and tried to get it to break at the original break that I glued and it held, and broke in a different place. I removed the frame and glued it and have it replaced now. I still need to get some aquarium sealant to seal the frame. I did move the tank to the deck and filled it and it has been holding for 3 days today now so I am draining the tank and will post pics as I start my build. Thanks for the help...
Bill
40 Gal Long Tank