CPO's

Crayfish, shrimp, snails, newts, frogs, turtles, etc.
dennysfishroom

CPO's

Post by dennysfishroom »

Sometimes there's something to be said for benign neglect. I had put 5 or 7 Dwarf Orange crayfish in a 40 breeder several months ago, and have pretty much just forgotten about them. Every so often I'd look in to see how many where still there, and I'd see any where from none to 5. I looked in today and was surprised to see at least 2 baby CPO's (FYI - I don't think I saw any adults today). Hard to say how many young might be in the tank, but I'll have to take a closer look later today. Not sure if I'll BAP these or not.
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
Jackielee

Re: CPO's

Post by Jackielee »

Fun stuff. I did the large ones and trying the cpo and electric blues glad you got some babies it gives me some hope. Jack
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Well, it appears that I've had at least 2 different spawns of the CPO's. The most I've seen at any one time is 5, but they are noticeably different sizes. They are quite small, and I probably wouldn't have noticed them if they hadn't been moving. I can't tell males from females, and they spend a lot of time hiding. I'm not even sure how many adults I have in the tank, although I did see 3 today. I also don't know how aggressive they are in pursuing the babies. You would think with 40 gallons available the babies would be able to hide pretty well. I haven't even thought about how I'm going to get them out once I have enough to get rid of the excess. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Are there fish in the tank? I need to remove some platys from mine. i have found the larger crayfish will eat the young but generally let a good number survive. I am anxious to get these going too. How is the new camera doing? Photos are sure nice on all fish topics. Hint hint. :D
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

The verdict is still out on the new camera. It can take nice pictures, but I'm not sure about close-ups. Of course there's always the crud conditions of the glass in my aquariums to take into account, too. At some point I may have to try to take them out of the 40, and use the photo tank or a flat dish of some sort. I like to take pictures of my fish and things, but it's just very hard to do on the spur of the moment. Denny