Chicken Thief

Come here just to talk about everyday life and other non-aquarium topics.
dennysfishroom

Chicken Thief

Post by dennysfishroom »

Last week I finished expanding the area that my chickens can roam in. I put a swinging door in the existing fence, and they really like the extra room to roam. The door was fairly heavy, and I had a cable so I could raise and lower it without having to go into the chicken yard. Well, yesterday I was out to open the door when I noticed one of the chickens was dead, and there were feathers all around. Not only that, but the head had been severed. When I looked out today, there were more feathers, and my rooster is missing completely. It looks like someone figured out how to get under the door, and is starting to steal our chickens. I'm figuring it's probably a raccoon, although it could also be other carnivore critters. Sometime today I'm going to have to figure out how to lock that door at night. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
fishbit

Re: Chicken Thief

Post by fishbit »

Denny,skunks & opossums take only the head.Coons will take the whole bird.Dogs normally will just kill the bird for fun.You might have more than one predator.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

They certainly are all around here. I was thinking raccoons only because we had one on our deck a few days ago. Either way, I'm going to have to figure out a way to lock the door over night. Denny
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

Good hens are getting expensive !
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Well, I figured out a lock for the door. Now I have to wait until tomorrow to see if it works. Otherwise, someone else will be sacrificed tonight. I had to pay $8@ for 4 hens this spring, and they won't even start laying until the middle of July. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I solved the door as an entry point yesterday, but still lost 3 chickens last night. Now I've got to figure out what else I can close up. There are no obvious entry points, but they are getting in somehow. They are even able to get some of the chickens out. Not sure how they're doing that. That's one way to get younger chickens, but not what I would recommend. Denny
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

Sounds like last resort time.You got a shotgun?LOL
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

You've got to see them before you can shoot them. I did tighten up the pen today, so we'' see what things are like in the morning. Denny
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I don't know if it'll help, you have a nice buffet set out for them.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

How rude of you, Denny, not to leave some sweet-n-sour sauce out there for the raccoons to have with their chicken!
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Is there sushi chicken? That might appeal even to you Mike. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

You need to get a game camera and or a live trap to figure out and remove the thief.
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

Jackielee wrote:You need to get a game camera and or a live trap to figure out and remove the thief.
ditto that...
Okarche, OK
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

I use to have a live trap & they work Denny.I have caught coons & possums,& once a skunk by my chickens.Even Black Snake!
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

when you finally catch the critter, you're welcome to drive over here and catch the stray chicken running around behind the gas station behind my house :lol:

no joke, there's been a small black hen of some sort hanging around in the alley behind my house and the gas station next door. I finally followed it and found it has a nest built behind a large co2 tank against the back wall of the station. I assume when they come to exchange the tank they might disturb it and it will relocate it. It's kinda funny to watch it right now.. Kyle
Okarche, OK
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Not sure if I'll be trapping or not. it's been 4 nights since I fixed the fence, and no additional losses. It may not continue, but I'm not going to worry about trapping unless they find another way in. Right now I've got to figure out how to clip the chickens wings so they can't get out of their expanded yard. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Best to clip when they are very young as birds and bleeding do not mix too well but you can probably still clip them but it will be harder on them now. good luck. You should still set a trap!