Sad & bizzarre. -Caution- graphic image

Diagnosis and treatment
Sundance

Sad & bizzarre. -Caution- graphic image

Post by Sundance »

I don't know how to describe this. The Knight Goby has died, but why?

Tankmates:
Glass Catfish
Banjo Catfish
Otocinclus
Bristlenose Plecostumus
Male Guppy
Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Equipment:
Sponge Filter
Small Powerhead
Small Heater

When I started my morning check today, I found this disturbing sight.

What's worse, as I was taking the pic, I realized, he was still alive! I ran all the euthanasia options through my head and decided to put him in a cup in the freezer.

I found his severed tail, uneaten, in a clump of Java Moss.

I really don't suspect his tank mates, it seems to be a clean "cut", and the tail was uneaten. I don't see how the equipment could be at fault either, the powerhead is small, doesn't have a large enough intake, or any "slicing" parts anyway.

My theory is that he was resting in the Java Moss, was startled, and in a quick dash, his tail got caught in the moss and was sliced clean off?

However, a couple of days ago, I noticed he moved about with a "limp" in his tail. He carried himself forward with his pectoral fins, and his tail seemed paralyzed. I thought he had smacked it against the glass and hoped it would heal. I also noticed that at the LFS, the other Goby's in the tank would strike each other at the same point in the tail that he lost.

Maybe his tail was weak? damaged? diseased? and the moss finished it off?

Does anyone have any experience with freshwater Goby's and anything like this?

Needless to say, I'm a bit stunned. I really liked that Goby.
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I would say there was strong tissue necrosis from an infection, most likely fungal. The flesh around the tail was most likely completely dead and just waiting to fall off. Usually fish don't survive long enough for that to happen, but he must have been a tough bugger.
Sorry to hear you lost him.
Michael
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

Thank you, Michael. That makes sense. He had a "sore" spot there from the bullying he got at the store. It also explains the "limp" he had just before.

The "national" forum guys didn't have a clue. And yes, I "like" to use "quotes". : )

Thanks again!
S u n d a n c e
bmcafee64

Post by bmcafee64 »

Wow well im deeply sorry for your loss. :cry: I agree some fungal infection took place here. Its common in the late stages of fungal infections for fish to lose body parts but like sumpnfishy said most fish dont live to that point. Ive seen it happen before in my tanks.
Umm but if you can bring yourself to do so, the best way of disposing a fish is to (well maybe i should tell you its not for the faint of heart) but you should take a knife and sever the spinal cord behind the head. That way its quick and humanely. Freezing the fish affects its blood capillaries under the skin, which cause the fish a great deal of pain before it losses concious. An alternative to that is to get the anaesthetic MS222 from a vet and leave the patient in the solution for several hours.
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

That's good info, mcafee.

I wasn't aware of the capillary thing. I thought they'd just start moving slower, go numb, then the big sleep in the freezer.

I'm not 100% sold on the Highlander method (decapitation) because I think that even though you're cutting all the nerves to the body, you're also sending the damage/pain signal on, well, all the nerves in the body and the head will live until it runs out of oxygen. But, I'm unqualified to say that's what's happening.

A hammer may be faster, instantly destroying the brain/processor. If you don't miss.

All of the above seem pretty intense, so I may look into that chemical you mentioned.

I haven't seen your name on here before, I hope we'll see you this Saturday at 2pm at the Rogers Police Station on Dixieland in Rogers. :D
S u n d a n c e
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

The freezer method has long been considered safe and humane. It is only recently that evidence has come out to show that it may be very painful. With small fish I generally throw them against the concrete floor as hard as I possibly can. It may hurt, but it is VERY quick. When we fish for large fish we generally carry a small club that we knock on top of the skull very quickly and hard. I suppose this would work for larger aquarium fish too.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I've always used the freezer method, as well. I've heard of using clove oil, but never tried it.

My daughter Nicole had a Rat for a very long time. He developed a large tumor and it was finally time to end his suffering. I called the vet and asked if they could put him to sleep and was told that what they did with rats was just put them in the deep freeze, so instead of paying them to do it I should just do the same myself. The only problem was that I kept wanting to "rescue" him. Poor Mr. Wiggles.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
bmcafee64

Post by bmcafee64 »

Well I guess as grosome as some of these methods may seem, its the fishes well being that counts. I mean who wants to make it suffer more than it already has. As for my name not being seen before I just found this site not very long ago but have already gotten really into it 8). As for this saturday, I really wish I could be there but unfortunately I have to work :(. I will be sure and try to catch the next one. I would love to meet some of you guys!!!