Aquarium Fish International Ceasing Publication

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
mewickham
NWAAS President

Aquarium Fish International Ceasing Publication

Post by mewickham »

I'm sad to announce that we have lost another good aquarium magazine. I just got word that Aquarium Fish International will cease publication with the next issue (October 2012). I haven't yet learned the reason of the downfall, but I suspect that the bad economy and the movement of advertising to the Internet were contributing causes. AFI absorbed FAMA (Freshwater and Marine Aquarium) magazine only a couple of years ago, when it went under. Tropical Fish Hobbyist remains the sole monthly aquarium magazine. Let's hope they don't fail, too.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
slimbolen99

Re: Aquarium Fish International Ceasing Publication

Post by slimbolen99 »

Wow. Never seemed to be a lack of advertisements in the magazines; that is too bad. I would imagine their offer of electronic subscriptions for $2 each earth day may have contributed as well.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I believe it was TFH that offered the Earth Day subscriptions. I wonder if AFI's purchase of FAMA a couple of years back was a contributing factor. It wouldn't surprise me if they paid too much and many subscribers were duplicates who didn't renew. Plus, FAMA's base was largely reef-centered, but AFI never has been. So maybe more subscribers ditched out. Add the expense of absorbing all their columnists and maybe it was too much. This is just a wild guess, though. I have no knowledge to support it.
Mike Wickham
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

Its not a very good reflection of the Aquarium Hobby today.It would be interesting to see the number of Hobbiest in this decade compared to earlier decades in the USA.Are the number of Hobbiest going down? You dont see Kids comming into the Hobby like they use to,I dont think.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I was talking to someone at the ACA, and they mentioned the average age of members used to be in the 20's, but now it's about 52. That may explain a lot of things including all the old people at the ACA. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

I guess in the age of the computer the aquarium isnt as appealing to youngsters as it was to our generation.
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

I just received a letter of confirmation telling me they are transferring the remainder of my subscription to "Dog Fancy" :?

I do have a couple dogs but I don't have any desire to read a magazine about dogs. the thing that sucks is I think I just sent in a 2yr renewal earlier this year :evil: On top of that, they sent me a renewal notice :x :x pretty crappy way to handle things in my opinion. I don't expect them to refund my money but surely this publishing company has more than one other magazine I can choose from........... oh well, lesson learned........Kyle
Okarche, OK
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

I really dont care to recieve their Dog magazine.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I wouldn't want a dog magazine as a substiture, either. Someone on another list posted this phone number where you could call for a refund instead of substitution: 1-800-833-7000.
Mike Wickham
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

Thans,Mik :lol: e
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

You can forward the dog magazine to me! Not funny but at least something. :oops:
fishbit

Post by fishbit »

Got my last issue today.I was always a FAMA reader & I will miss those guys I have been reading their articles for 25 years or so like Paul Speice.R.I.P. A.F.I.& F.A.M.A.