Elec. Blue Jack Dempseys?

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
dennysfishroom

Elec. Blue Jack Dempseys?

Post by dennysfishroom »

Sometimes a certain amount of neglect may be good for you fish. We had some friends over yesterday, and I was showing them my fish room. As I showed them the tank that had my female Jack Dempsey (elec. blue gene carrier), I looked in the tank, and noticed some wigglers. Apparently she had spawned with one of her sons, and they had spawned, and the fry were not quite free swimming yet. I removed the flower pot with the wigglers into another tank, and this morning noticed that the fry were free swimming. Then I noticed that there were about as many remaining in the original tank with the parents. I'm going to have to figure out how to remove them, and then figure out how to separate the electric blues from the regular colored ones. This would have been much easier if I had noticed just before the eggs had hatched. I also noticed one tank of bristlenose plecos sitting on some eggs outside the cave. We'll have to see what happens there. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
dennysfishroom

Re: Elec. Blue Jack Dempseys?

Post by dennysfishroom »

Checked again this morning, and decided to try and net the fry remaining with the parents. I think I may have gotten quite a few, but will have to check back once the tank settles again. Also, the BN male is still guarding his eggs outside the cave. I can't remember for sure, but I think the eggs take around 6 days to hatch. Today is probably around day 2 or 3. I've got another tank practically over-run with BN fry. I'm thinking about just removing the breeding group to another aquarium, and letting them start all over again. We'll see. Denny
Chard56

Post by Chard56 »

What kind of BN fry and are you selling or willing to trade some?
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Right now I've got both regular color and albino, but both are regular finned. I'm working on getting some long-finned additions to my gene pool, but I don't have them yet. None of the ones I've got right now are big enough to sell or trade. From my experience, there is a very high rate of mortality at about 1 1/2 inches. I don't like to get rid of any until they are past that critical size. Not sure that there's anything I'm looking for right now, but always willing to listen. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I have some LF BN Denny if you want some let me know. They are mostly showing a s brown but I pulled a spawn this week that might be albino but don't know yet. Take care,
Jack
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I keep thinking the EBJD fry are older than they are. They've only been free-swimming for 10 days now. I was thinking they weren't growing very fast, but I guess they're doing fine for 10 days. When I went down to feed them today, I noticed they were grazing on the algae on the side of the tank. I'll have to keep an eye on them, but I'm anticipating having to separate them in about 2 weeks. I do have BG's (the blue gene carriers) available if anyone wants to give them a try. Denny
Chard56

Post by Chard56 »

What would you want for a half dozen shipped to Harrison?
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Probably a little premature. They are only about 3/8" right now, and I can't even tell if any are going to be EBJD's. Once they are separated, it will probably take about 4-6 months to get big enough to sell. They don't grow as fast as regular Jack Dempseys. I usually get about $8 @ (wholesale). I might have a friend in Harrison, so don't really know on shipping. Denny