Breeding Tetra's - Tips for a beginner?

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
Sundance

Breeding Tetra's - Tips for a beginner?

Post by Sundance »

Hi All,
I have decided to breed X-Ray Tetra's, or Pristella maxillaris. I've read my Innes Book (19th ed, circa 1969), done some research online, and it seems to be pretty consistent info.

I've re-purposed a 10 gallon tank that has been operational for about a year now. It had been my Guppy tank, my first foray into breeding. Now that that is an OVERWHELMING success, I've decided to try these Tetra's. (The Guppies have been sent to an all boy school and an all girl's school.)

I have a couple of buckets of infusoria going. Some live Daphnia culturing, vinegar eels and brine shrimp at the ready.

Now for the questions -

Research recommends a tank that has been in operation for a while. It also recommends bare bottom. Should I remove the gravel? It will have an established sponge filter - will it's media be sufficient?

Should I allow any snails, Ottos, or Plecos in the tank?

Can I use a lot of Java Moss and Anacharis in place of a nylon mop? (I plan to remove the parents after the dance.)

Gender ID - research says the males have a pointed swim bladder, while female are round. Is that this? (thus female?)

I have three Pristella's left from a former school of six. They are over a year old. Are they too old? Are they likely to spawn?

Should I put in a pair? Or can I just put all three in and they'll work it out?

Any other tips?

Thank you,
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
dennysfishroom

Breeding tetras

Post by dennysfishroom »

Hi Sundance,

I almost don't know whether I should respond or not since I've never bred tetras, but here goes anyway. From what I've heard and read you definitely will need soft water for most tetras. The gravel can harbor bacteria that can cause the eggs to fungus, which is why I'm guessing some will recommend bare tanks. Are you going to use any medication to try to prevent fungus? I think most tetras have adhesive eggs, so they can spawn in plants as well as mops. You definitely don't want snails, corys, plecos or otos in you spawning tank to begin with. After the fry have some size you may want to, but they'll make a quick meal of any eggs. Generally the fry are going to be very small, so have very small food avaialble for the first week (vinegar eels may be small enough, or possibly some infusoria). I think most people use groups rather than just pairs. You may want to separate the males and females for several days before attempting spawning. Put them together just before you turn out the lights, and often they will spawn by the next morning. The parents will also eat the eggs after they are finished, so they need to be removed. You can tell by the females being much thinner or visually seeing the eggs on the plants or mops. I'm guessing most will hatch is 1-3 days at normal aquarium temperatures. Good luck. Denny
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

Hi Denny,
Your advice is most welcome! I'll remove the gravel and go bare bottom. I do have some anti-fungal organic stuff, I may treat the water before I introduce the fish. I'm pretty excited.

Thanks,
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Uh oh...Sundance is going bare bottom!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Did you ever have any luck breeding tetras?
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.