First time around here

Come here just to talk about everyday life and other non-aquarium topics.
dennysfishroom

First time around here

Post by dennysfishroom »

I walked out the front door to take LC for a walk this afternoon, and found a big tarantula sitting on our front porch (actually, it may not have been big for a tarantula, but it was huge for a spider). I wonder what kind of reaction we would have gotten from Gail if she was the one going outside. I had gone back inside to tell Gail, and when I came back out, she asked if I had gone to get something to kill it. I said "no" as I was taking pictures of it. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: First time around here

Post by mewickham »

I saw a small one, around 1.5" in diameter, at Pea Ridge Military Park, once. It's the only one I've seen in Arkansas. They are widespread, though. Here's a link to a survey that was run in 2004. I submitted my report back then and was surprised to receive an "I spied a spider" refrigerator magnet in the mail. :)
http://www.naturalheritage.com/citizen-science/past_projects/tarantula/tresults.aspx
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
tbalan

Post by tbalan »

I used to see them all the time when loading hay out of my dad's hay barn.
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

I know they're everywhere around here in Oklahoma yet I've never seen one in person other than a couple while driving down country roads. I also hear lots of stories of scorpions but just this year saw one my mom caught in her living room. a lot of these critters do a good job of keeping hidden. makes you wonder how many close-calls you have without ever knowing :) Kyle
Okarche, OK