What ever happened to......

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
DRNilraps

What ever happened to......

Post by DRNilraps »

I'm wondering what happened to the under gravel filter systems used back in the 60s/70s? Why aren't they used anymore? Thanks David
dennysfishroom

Re: What ever happened to......

Post by dennysfishroom »

people probably saw how much "stuff" was in the gravel, and decided to use methods of filtration that removed the "stuff" rather than just hid it. It does break down in the gravel, but not as quick as it accumulates. Some plants don't do very well with UG also. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Undergravel filters are still around, but no longer popular. I'd give a couple of reasons for this:

1. Stores prefer to sell filters that require regular additional sales of replaceable media. Undergravel filters don't need any filter media-- the gravel is the media and a gravel vacuum (one-time purchase) cleans that.

2. The trend is that live plants are taking over for plastic plants. Yay! Undergravel filters aren't the best choice for live plants. It's hard to clean the gravel where the plants grow, since they get in the way, and their roots especially are damaged by poking a gravel vacuum into the substrate.

Undergravel filters are great mechanical and biological filters. They don't do chemical filtration, though, unless you add the small carbon cartridges available for some models. These are too small to provide much chemical filtration, though. Nevertheless, regular partial water changes get rid of dissolved wastes just as well. So if you use a gravel vacuum regularly to clean the gravel and make partial water changes, undergravel filters are great and have nearly zero operating cost. They are becoming harder to find, though.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
DRNilraps

Post by DRNilraps »

Does any one have a local or mail order source for underground filters or parts, i.e. stems?
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Pet Solutions and Big Al's both have them. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
DRNilraps

Post by DRNilraps »

I was surprised, but I found them at Petco and Pet Smart. I went with the one from Petco, as the design was similar to what we used back in the good old days. Thanks for your help. David