EB Jack Dempseys

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
dennysfishroom

EB Jack Dempseys

Post by dennysfishroom »

I've been trying to get some EB Jack Dempseys going for quite awhile. I had a male EB and what I thought was a BG Jack Dempsey (carries the recessive gene for EB). I did have a spawn or 2 from the pair, but was never able to get any EB's. At this point I don't know whether the female was actually a BG or a regular colored Jack Dempsey. The other possibility was that I didn't separate the EB's soon enough. As a result, I did have the progeny from the cross grow up. Since the male was definitely an EB, I know that all the fry do carry the blue gene. I finally pulled 2 fish out a few weeks ago, and put them into an empty tank I had. My plan was that I'd have them spawn in a flower pot, and then I'd pull the pot and hatch the fry in a bare tank. I could see there was some activity, but I couldn't see any fry. This morning I noticed they were taking care of freeswimming fry. So much for my plan. Now I have to figure out how I'm going to get all the fry out of the tank. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
snakeskinner

Re: EB Jack Dempseys

Post by snakeskinner »

can you move the parents?
Okarche, OK
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

The problem occurs because you have to separate the EB's from the regular appearing fry within the first 30 days, or they disappear as a result of being out-competed for food. I've got them in a 135, and it's just not practical to try to separate based on very subtle differences in appearance in a tank that large. I may try to siphon all the fry out sometime this week. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

It looks like there weren't very many left of this spawn. I did siphon out 12-15 of them, and so far have only seen one I missed. At least I can grow these for a month to see if any are EB Jack Dempseys. By taking the fry out, I'm hoping they will wait until next week to spawn again. I'll be back from the ALA by then, and should be able to take care of a new spawn. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

I have a gold female how about we breed her to your EG male and create some beautiful pastel EB dempseys! I have gold fry too if you want to raise a younger female. LMK. Jack
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I lost my EB male, but he had spawned with a regular or BG female before he died. That means I do have several JD's that I know are BG. You're welcome to try if you like. I've lost most of the remaining fry from this spawn (did do them any good to go for a long weekend without food while we were in St. Louis). They will probably spawn again in the next week or two. I just wish it was a little easier to see the difference in the regular colored fry and the EB's during the first 4-5 weeks after they hatch. If you can't separate them early, you won't get any surviving EB's - they get out-competed for food and die. Denny
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Thanks, may do that next time I come to your town. Jack
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

My pair of BG Jack Dempseys spawned again yesterday. I took the eggs out today, and I should see wrigglers tonight or tomorrow. Not sure how many viable I'll have, but should find out soon. Anyone interested in a breeding pair of BG JD's for $20? Once I clear the tank, I'm going to put in the Firemouths to see if I can get them to spawn, and we can start our Growing contest. Denny