We're back from the ALA annual convention

For discussion of upcoming events in NWA and beyond. Auction rules and registration forms can also be found here.
dennysfishroom

We're back from the ALA annual convention

Post by dennysfishroom »

We just got back from the ALA annual convention held in St. Louis, and hosted by MASI this past weekend. A little more intimate than the ACA (smaller), but lots of really nice people. I did manage to get some pretty cool fish, and make some contacts for future programs, as well as some possible help for our Species Maintenance Program. More to come. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
snakeskinner

Re: We're back from the ALA annual convention

Post by snakeskinner »

I really wanted to go but just couldn't swing the trip. Plus it was probably a good thing since I would have been more than tempted to bring fish home that I didn't have room for :) KYle
Okarche, OK
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

It was tempting to buy much more than we did. Our first purchase was a trio of all-red guppies. They were so nice that Gail practically forced me to get them. I think the breeder eventually won the guppy class in the show. Then I went room-hopping where I got some lyretail red swordtails (he was only selling pairs of the lyretails with no regular finned males). I also got a pair of regular fin Orange Blossom (albino red tuxedo) swords. That male will become the breeder male for the lyretail females. He won in the show for his swordtails. Lastly, I got 2 pairs of Chapalichthys encaustus - ugly ditch fish. Michael is going to love this, but one bag didn't make it home, so I may have to see if he's raising these guys. I also didn't see a common name for them. Denny
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I am not keeping encsaustus but have in the past. Common name? It's a goodeid, what's a common name? :D
snakeskinner

Post by snakeskinner »

I'm with you Michael, I'd have been buying up wild types. I'm not into the cultivated stuff really but I know it's a popular market.

glad you had fun, maybe I can make one in the next few years. kyle
Okarche, OK
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I probably should mention that as I was looking at the auction fish, I heard someone calling my name. Looking around, I saw Will and Ashley sitting there waiting for the auction to start. It really looked like they were having a good time. We left early, so I'll have to ask them if they picked up any bargains after we we were gone. Denny
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Don't know if you're interested or not, but I posted some of my pictures from the ALA, and from my waterfall rework on my website. dennysfishroom.com

Go to the website, then to the gallery and you can find both sets of pictures. FYI - Gram H. did the work on the waterfall, and it really turned out nice. Denny
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

There are some good shots there of the ALA, the zoo, and the waterfall build. I'm regretting missing the ALA after seeing them. One of these days, I'll come check out the waterfall in person. :)
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair