Carbon Dioxide

Add some green (or red or pink or purple) to your aquarium!
etheonut

Carbon Dioxide

Post by etheonut »

Upon considering the new 30L as a planted tank I have also considered fiddling with CO2. Can anyone recommend a good website for this aspect of the hobby? I am growing plants just fine without CO2, but I wouldn't mind to do some of this just to see the effects. I am probably most interested in a DIY CO2 set up.

Kevin
HiroPro

Post by HiroPro »

I get a lot of info from http://www.plantedtank.net/. I've also purchased plants and shrimp from the Swap 'N Shop section.
Ryan
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

Man, I did DIY for awhile. It works, but it is more work. You should probably like the smell of beer soaked bread, too. (which I do.)

Here was my setup:

A) Solution
B) Gas Separator
C) Pressure valve (didn't work)
D) DIY Bubble Counter (still works with my pressurized CO2!)

Fun stuff, good luck!!!
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I did a real simple diy co2 setup, but it didn't really keep up with the 29 gallon. I think it would work best with a 10 g.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
Josey

Post by Josey »

I did a 2 coke bottle setup (one manufacturer and one separator) on my 29 with the output of the co2 going in the inlet of my magnum 230 (read antique) it seemed to work quite well. but the bottles needed changed every 20 days or so. It helps if you can keep the bottles from sunlight and keep them warm. I kept mine in my cabinet below the tank with the magnum (which kept it warm)
“It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”

J. R. R. Tolkien
Bobby@W.U.W

Post by Bobby@W.U.W »

my 2l bottle works almost too well on my 30L. Its all in how you dissolve the Co2 in the water. but mine only lasts 4-6 days.
Last edited by Bobby@W.U.W on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bobby@W.U.W

Post by Bobby@W.U.W »

Josey wrote:I did a 2 coke bottle setup (one manufacturer and one separator) on my 29 with the output of the co2 going in the inlet of my magnum 230 (read antique) it seemed to work quite well. but the bottles needed changed every 20 days or so. It helps if you can keep the bottles from sunlight and keep them warm. I kept mine in my cabinet below the tank with the magnum (which kept it warm)
did the C02 gas ever build up and make your pump run dry?
Josey

Post by Josey »

No I never had any problems. The bottles only put out a bubble every 3 to 5 seconds or so at average production.

Edit -I also used way too much sugar for the co2 mix but then I would put baking powder in to slow down the yeast reaction. This way it last longer you'll have to experiment to get the right amount though because of temp, how much sugar and what kind, also what kind/quality of yeast culture. I've heard some people use wine yeast. It has different properties than bakers yeast.

You can read for weeks on this subject (ask me how I know)
Last edited by Josey on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J. R. R. Tolkien
Josey

Re: Carbon Dioxide

Post by Josey »

etheonut wrote:Upon considering the new 30L as a planted tank I have also considered fiddling with CO2. Can anyone recommend a good website for this aspect of the hobby? I am growing plants just fine without CO2, but I wouldn't mind to do some of this just to see the effects. I am probably most interested in a DIY CO2 set up.

Kevin
In keeping with what Kevin originally asked for here is one of the more in depth websites on co2.

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

J. R. R. Tolkien
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Thanks for that link. I read the whole thing. It was much more interesting than the website I was reading earlier today which was basically a treatise on Yeast. It was very educational.

I have a pressurized CO2 system up and running now on one of my established planted tanks. I am going to use a DIY system on my 30L.

I will post notes later as I see/don't see results.

Kevin
Josey

Post by Josey »

I'm glad you liked it. I hesitate to post sometimes I can be a real nerd if I'm not careful... I am even part of an aquarium society :wink:

J. R. R. Tolkien
Josey

Post by Josey »

Any progress?

J. R. R. Tolkien
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I can't see the tanks from here (South Carolina) but my wife informed me that the plants are looking very green when I talked to her last night.

Kevin
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Ok, I am home and exhausted, but here is an update.

There are tiny streams of Oxygen gas coming off of all my plants. My cabomba is greener than it has ever been and has probably put on 2-3 inches just since last Thursday. The hair algae is in remission and my 2 discus look nicer than usual. Overall, I am pleased.

Kevin