MAY 2024: Finding Cichlids & Catfish All Over Africa

Program Schedule - Dates - Location - Maps and Directions
mewickham
NWAAS President

MAY 2024: Finding Cichlids & Catfish All Over Africa

Post by mewickham »

Don't miss this one! We're bringing in a special speaker from Seattle!
Lawrence Kent will talk about his fish collecting excursions in Africa. Full description and bio below the poster.

Lawrence_Kent_Africa_poster.png
Lawrence_Kent_Africa_poster.png (108.46 KiB) Viewed 49 times
Lawrence_Kent_Africa_poster.png
Lawrence_Kent_Africa_poster.png (108.46 KiB) Viewed 49 times

Lawrence Kent's biography
Lawrence Kent works for a humanitarian foundation, based in Seattle, combatting poverty and malnutrition in Africa and South Asia. He travels abroad frequently for his job, and takes advantage of these trips to look for freshwater fish on the side. He has made fish presentations in 25 cities on three continents, collected fish in 24 countries, and published two dozen articles in Tropical Fish Hobbyist, Amazonas, the Cichlid News, the Buntbarsche Bulletin, American Currents, and the German magazines DATZ, AKFS, and BSSW Report. Lawrence currently serves as an editor-at-large for Amazonas magazine, and a judge in the North American category of the Biotope Aquarium Design contest. He keeps 30 tanks at home, filled with African cichlids, catfish, mormyrids, and tetras, Southeast Asian labyrinths, and self-collected North American native fish.

According to Lawrence, "The talk is a whirlwind tour across the African continent and many of its lakes and rivers, where I’ve been lucky enough to catch interesting tropical fish on my free days on the margins of work-related trips. We’ll start in the east in Malawi and work our way north to Ethiopia then over to the center of Africa – Congo – before heading westward to places like Nigeria and Burkina Faso before wrapping up in Senegal. I’ll share some stories and cichlid and catfish pictures along the way. I hope you can attend. There will be prizes."

Posters
Help us promote this program by printing and distributing posters:
Beautiful black background version:
Lawrence_Kent_Africa_poster.pdf
(352.04 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Lawrence_Kent_Africa_poster.pdf
(352.04 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Ink-saving white background version:
Lawrence_Kent_Africa_poster_white.pdf
(259.33 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Lawrence_Kent_Africa_poster_white.pdf
(259.33 KiB) Downloaded 5 times