Stand for a 55g

DIY Projects or post where to find them
Josey

Stand for a 55g

Post by Josey »

I'm building a new stand for my 55. I like my tanks to be a little taller than what most manufactures feel comfortable making them. i like the bottom of the tank about 3 feet off the floor. That way I don't have to bend over to see my fish.

I have built one for my 29 that I have gotten lots of complements on. I like to use 3/4" furniture grade birch ply. I plan on building an internal 2x4 frame to support the weight. I figure a 55 should weigh about 600lbs

Any ideas?

Things you think I should incorporate into the design?

Critisims?
“It is the job that is never started that takes longest to finish.”

J. R. R. Tolkien
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

I hear you on not wanting to bend over to see the fish.

If possible, you may want to consider a tether or brace support to the nearest wall once the stand is in place. As you know, you want to minimize the top heavy situation.

Good luck and post pics if you can!
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

i ran a shop for around 10 years and have had fish for over 30. In all that time I've never once heard of a tank and stand falling over. ALL-GLASS does or used to make a 36" cabinet stand. It would take quite a bit of pull to get it over. One fix would be to build the stand in such a way that you could put another tank under the 55. TAA-DAA! one more excuse to have another tank. :D
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

On a related note, you could set that second tank (29 or 30 gallon) up as a sump or as a quarantine tank. Be easy to keep it hidden behind doors on the stand.

Kevin
Josey

Post by Josey »

Yes I plan on using my old 29 for a sump on the new 55.

I like the idea of a tether it sounds good in theory I'll have to look into it.

I also plan to wire the stand using a couple or three gfic plug-ins. That way all my wires are in the stand and hidden from view.

Thanks for the ideas keep em coming!!!!!

J. R. R. Tolkien
Josey

Post by Josey »

I should actually start this project this weekend. I've gotten to busy for my own good!! I'll try to take some pictures as I build it up if anyone is interested I'm not real sure how to post images on here. I'm trying to make a meeting sooner or later maybe I could just bring the photos with me.

J. R. R. Tolkien
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

If you take some good, detailed pictures maybe you would be willing to do a presentation for the club on "Building Your Own Stand: One Man's Experience"

Kevin
Josey

Post by Josey »

Sounds great I'll try to keep good tabs on the process.

J. R. R. Tolkien
Josey

Post by Josey »

Started on my stand today. I sliced up a 4x8 sheet of 5/8" white birch ply. My current design (subject to change at any moment) is 36" high 51" long and 15" deep.

The plywood is really just for appearance as I am building and internal structure of 2x4 studs.

I'm taking pics as I go. I'm no expert (I am however a know-it-all) but I'm keeping track to share my experience.

J. R. R. Tolkien
Josey

Post by Josey »

I got the internal 2x4 structure built today VERY strong it is a little out of square but I think I am within tolerance.

J. R. R. Tolkien
Josey

Re: Stand for a 55g

Post by Josey »

It has really taken me a while to get back to this project. I attached the sides front and top today. I am using titebond2 to glue the top on it isn't waterproof but it won't stain the wood like most waterproof glues do once it cures I'll run some screws thru from the inside.

J. R. R. Tolkien