I forgot about this guy

Fish from Arkansas and the USA
Colby

I forgot about this guy

Post by Colby »

Went collecting with my Ichthyology class a couple of weeks ago. We initially were looking for banded pygmy sunfish, but just ended up with a bunch of golden shiners and pirate perch, but fortunately we did happen upon this little dinosaur and I called dibs.
sumpnfishy

Re: I forgot about this guy

Post by sumpnfishy »

You'll have to ask Kevin about his experience bringing one of those home!
Your class was a little far from home. Were you east or south?
Colby

Post by Colby »

We got this guy in Galla creek which runs through Pottsville AR, Which is about 15 min away. But we have Bowfin right here in Russellville
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I was referring to the pygmy sunfish and pirate perch. I'm not sure of the range for the pirate perch but Ellasoma are much farther south.
Colby

Post by Colby »

The class has collected pygmys and pirate perch there many times before.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I wonder if perhaps the pygmy's are introduced, or just an "unrecorded" population. Fishes of Arkansas does have them that far north but a ways east yet with the closest being around Lake Maumelle and north of Gleason. That's 35 miles by road but probably 60 or 70 by river and Elassoma don't migrate. Of course a few plants wrapped around a heron's leg with some eggs is all it really takes I suppose. I'm glad to hear there's a spot so close to collect them!
Michael
Colby

Post by Colby »

I think we are going after them next week and this time we'll take the backpack shocker if the weather allows.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Only done that once and it wasn't working properly.
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

Can't wait until you breed the pygmys.

Breeding the bowfin would be cool. That is one fish I have not seen in the wild.
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
Colby

Post by Colby »

It would be awesome to have a tank full of colorful juvenile bowfin.
I read they have a fecundity range of 1,900-72,500 eggs!
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Which means you would have to use 1400 to 72,000 as feeders! Assuming you can find homes for 500!
Bowfin are absolutely beautiful when they get full size with the fins rippling as they move. Problem is that I don't have a 300 gallon tank!
Michael
Colby

Post by Colby »

I just put this guy in my 130 g, when he gets to big he will be moved to the 350 g native tank at school. Thats if he makes it that long
He seems to enjoy crawdads more so then feeders. Michael what did you feed yours when you had it?
Colby

Post by Colby »

sumpnfishy wrote:I wonder if perhaps the pygmy's are introduced, or just an "unrecorded" population. Fishes of Arkansas does have them that far north but a ways east yet with the closest being around Lake Maumelle and north of Gleason. That's 35 miles by road but probably 60 or 70 by river and Elassoma don't migrate. Of course a few plants wrapped around a heron's leg with some eggs is all it really takes I suppose. I'm glad to hear there's a spot so close to collect them!
Michael
I was informed today that in the revision of Fishes of Arkansas (if it ever comes out. j/k) the banded pygmy sunfishes (Elassoma zonatum) distribution will include Galla Creek. I also learned that the yellow perch (don’t know off the top of my head) would be added and the central mud minnow (umbra limi) could be taken out.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I've never had one. The KC zoo had a full grown one that I used to sit and watch every time we went.
Didn't realize yellow perch were in Arkansas anywhere. Seems a little warm for them here.
Michael
Renegade545

Post by Renegade545 »

I used to catch perch in southern canada, where the weather isn't too much different in the summer. I think they were the same or similar to yellow perch, we used to call them tiger perch i believe.
Mack Emmons