What type of tetra do you prefer?

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
pinkrblu

What type of tetra do you prefer?

Post by pinkrblu »

We have several types of tetras. Lost all the black phantoms. We have cardinal tetras, neon tetras and Xray tetras (pristellas). My favorite tetras were the green neons I got last fall, but they all died overnight one night during the ice storm.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

For me, the rarer the better. I look out for hard to find tetras, but that isn't conducive to getting a big school.
I like the look of a large school of cardinals. Another great option are congo tetras, but they are a bit pricey. Heck there are a ton of choices!
Michael
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

We only have four cardinals, five neons, five rummy noses and six pristellas left. Looks like we will be doing some major fish shopping in the future. There aren't enough of any one of those left to be a happy school.
~Kenna
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

As I tried to find a schooling fish that fit in my 55 ga community, I acquired several schools of Tetras. Black Neon, Neon, Headlights, Pristella, and Black Phantoms. The Black Phantoms fit the 55, and the others are in the 75.

I have say the Pristella X Rays are my faves, especially when they school. I've noticed sometimes all the Tetra's in my 75 will school at times. I really like the mix of colors and metallic shines.

Peace.
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

My tetras have all been schooling together the last couple days. Poor things just can't figure out what's going on. My dad had a dwarf blue gourami in with a school of neons. The gourami ate all the neons so I gave him my black skirt tetras. They are absolutely beautiful now that they have matured.
~Kenna
McKelvie

Post by McKelvie »

speaking of tetras we need to actually complete our school of cardinals in the twenty nine gallon. for some reason my mother decided to only bring home four fish and call it a school.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

There are a couple good stores around here that sell them cheap. Maybe if you guys are up sometime I could direct you to them.
Michael
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Yep, I only got four. The reason was because they had just gotten a new shipment, but they weren't looking too great, so we only took the ones left from the previous shipment. That was just before the 75 crash started, so I had expected to be going back in a few days and getting more. The crash has prevented any shopping until I figure out what we need to get to round everything back out and we also have our fish scattered out in all our tanks so there is nowhere to quarentine new fish.
~Kenna
McKelvie

Post by McKelvie »

i don't like any of our tetras. they bore me. but we do need to add some more cardinals to our discus tank.
but i guess, to be fair, that large schools of neons and cardinals make a pretty impresive sight in an aquarium.
TylerMatheny

Post by TylerMatheny »

I prefer glo-lite tetras because they are cheap, small, and mid-water fish.
Bobby@W.U.W

Post by Bobby@W.U.W »

I like my embers and cardinals. Another tetra I like are phantoms (not to be confused with their "look-a-like) but they are hard to get.
HiroPro

Post by HiroPro »

I'm starting a large school of Ember tetras in my 55. I've got 12 so far and hope to double that soon.
paramedic07

Re: What type of tetra do you prefer?

Post by paramedic07 »

I prefer old fashioned black skirt tetras and buenos aires tetras myself. especially in schools of 8 to 10 or more.
Herpchat

Re: What type of tetra do you prefer?

Post by Herpchat »

That question is too open.

I did a talk on Tetras and it was astounding the sheer variety of Tetras there are. That family fills so many niches it isn't even funny from minnow, to darter to top predator.

With all of that I can't pick one, so here goes;

Cardinals (can't beat their beauty)
Neons (same reason)
Black Darter Tetra (because its so cool)
Diamond tetra (because it is cool)
Mexican Tetra (blind version) (because it is so different)
Black Tetra (because of their looks)
Splash Tetra (because it lays its eggs out of water)
Sailfin Tetra (would love to have some for its rarity)
Rainbows and Lacorti;
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA