Strip lights

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
dennysfishroom

Strip lights

Post by dennysfishroom »

I've been using regular shop lights in my fish room since I set it up. I've had 3-4 of them go "bad" recently, and am wondering if it's the strip lights or the outlets? We have had several instances of them not working after power outages, so that could be a factor also. They are on a separate circuit with a timer. Any ideas? Are the electronic ballasts more sensitive to those types of power swings? Thanks. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: Strip lights

Post by sskruzr »

I'll bet it's the lights. I don't believe the sudden on and off is good for ballasts and knowing the quality of some workshop lights, I find it hard to believe it'd be the outlets.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
Renegade545

Post by Renegade545 »

I'll second the lights answer. The ballasts are the likely culprit, or depending on the brand, the starters.

In a power outage, its understand as the ballasts aren't built to withstand the surges that often accompany the power flickers.
Mack Emmons

dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

I just bought 2 more strips this week. I was asking one of the employees about it, and he didn't have a clue (sounds like some of the employees we run into at some of the pet stores. I did ask him what the difference was between the $9 lights and the $30 lights. He said he thought the internal parts were the same, but the pull switches and deflectors were different. I bought the $9 lights. I'll try to get them up today. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!