Redworms

Tasty nutrition for your fish
dennysfishroom

Redworms

Post by dennysfishroom »

Hi Kevin (or anyone else who wants to contribute),

Question for you concerning red worms. I've ordered one of the worm box systems, and I was wondering if you could help me. I've gotten conflicting info on whether you can use red worms for feeding fish or as bait. I think the people saying you shouldn't or can't are talking about worms raised in manure where they are used to compost the stuff. Do you know if it has to do with the species of worm or is the problem what you feed them? I'd hate to end up with 10,000 worms that I couldn't use for either fish food or for fishing. I'd appreciate it if you could give me your thoughts on this matter. Denny
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Denny,

I have used red worms as both bait and fish food in the past. I raised my red worms in a manure free environment and often put them on a clean moist paper-towel for a half hour before feeding them to the fish. They are great food for fish with a mouth big enough to eat them. They can also be cut into chunks and fed that way. Just remember that whatever you use as a media for the red worms will eventually end up in your tank. That can work for you, vegetable matter, etc.., or against you, manure and synthetic materials.

As far as using them to fish, go for it. They are small though so you will have to use appropriately sized hooks and other equipment. They should be perfect for sunfish, crappie, and maybe even catfish in the right situation.

Kevin