Paleatus Spawn and Cory Rules

Scavengers - Predators - Algae-eaters
Herpchat

Paleatus Spawn and Cory Rules

Post by Herpchat »

Today Saturday 17 January 2009 I discover that everything I read on cory cat breeding was wrong. Or at least my cories don’t follow it. What I have discovered is that females stake out territories to lay their eggs. The male presses his side against her snout and she then deposits usually 3 eggs which she clamps in her pelvic fins.

She then swims to her territory and lays the eggs. If another female claims the territory she will eat the eggs of the rival female. These observations were made on Corydoras paleatus 6.4 breeding group. Just moving them to a spawning tank was enough of a trigger to get them to spawn. After they finish if the egg count is high enough I will pull them and put in the cherry shrimp to clean their eggs. This tactic worked with the Corydoras aeneus group I spawned a month earlier. If I only had another tank available I would spawn the Corydoras puncatatus.

Can’t wait to get rid of all of the firemouths. That will clear up 2 tanks.

The baby aeneus were placed with my Chromoaphysemion bitaniatum colony to grow up. They are a month old and some are an inch long. Those are growing very quick.

And as luck would have it they ate all the eggs. I am going to clean the tank and hope having more laying sites will do the trick but all of the females tried to use the same area and they would eat the eggs of the rivals then lay their own over where the rival eggs were.
'No one can save them all but everyone can save at least one.

President of the International Betta Congress
Chair IBC-SMP
President of the OKAA (The real state Aquarium Association)
and BAP Chair OKAA
Sundance

Re: Paleatus Spawn and Cory Rules

Post by Sundance »

The paleatus ate the eggs?
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

Females did not the males.

I cleaned the tank and scraped the sides to make more laying areas.

will see if this helped with the egg laying.

It did say in the notes that females ate the eggs of other females before they laid their own on that site. All of the females chose the same site. I do believe it is a territorial behavior of cory catfish.

Chair IBC-SMP
and BAP Chair OKAA
Herpchat

Post by Herpchat »

OK got the paleatus chilled again and right now making up RO water to chill the punctatus.

Gonna try to get both species to spawn so that I can complete the catfish category. I am also on the lookout for other easy to spawn catfish to hedge my bets. I find if I have enough species to complete they won't spawn. If I double what I need then enough spawn to complete the category.

Chair IBC-SMP
and BAP Chair OKAA