Photos from HAAS 2009 Summer Auction

Post your favorite aquarium related pics.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Photos from HAAS 2009 Summer Auction

Post by mewickham »

A few of us were spotted at the HAAS 2009 Summer Auction in Kansas City. Left to right: Michael, Kevin, Mike (me), Kenna, and Corey. Film at 11:00.

Okay, here's the real photo.
Click here for larger image]

Everyone pitched in to help. Michael and Kevin played auctioneer, while Kenna and Corey acted as runners. I was the unofficial event photographer.

Bidding was frantic for certain rare items.

There was a good turnout. The auction lasted six hours!
Click here for larger image.]

There were plenty of fishes up for auction. These several tables represent only half of them. Plus, there were plants and equipment on the block.
Click here for larger image

I kept trying to get a good picture of a member of our group bidding and never could quite catch it. I did catch a photo of this unknown woman bidding. She made it easy. I don't know what she was bidding on, but she wanted it badly enough to keep that card in the air, without lowering it, until she won.
Click here for larger image]

Michael pitched in and took a turn as auctioneer. It is clear that he has done this before. He was fast and fluent! Corey also participated as runner. I couldn't believe that these bags of three water lilies were going for around a buck a lily! I wish I had a pond!
Click here for larger image.

Kenna volunteered to be a runner. Here she holds what may be the only Metaframe tank that Corey didn't come home with. Or did he?

It was also clear that Kevin had played auctioneer before. He did a great job pawning off convict cichlids to suckers at high prices. He was so into it that he came home and hooked up a friend with some, too!

Michael the auctioneer at work. Auctioneers rotated on one-hour shifts.
click here for larger image.]

Our friend, Mike Meyer of HAAS, took a shift as auctioneer.
click here for larger image.

Hopefully, our club will draw turnouts like this someday. And this was later in the day, when some had already left.
click here for larger image.

We had a great time there, and fun conversations on the trips up and back. Until next time...
Last edited by mewickham on Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Dinosfishhouse

Re: Photos from HAAS 2009 Summer Auction

Post by Dinosfishhouse »

Glad to hear everyone had a great time.
This thread gets me looking forward to the next two auctions I am going to, Atlanta in September and Charlotte in October.
200 aquaria
112 species of fish
31 species of plants
7 species of freshwater shrimp
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Oops... caught an error in caption #2. It should say, "Everyone pitched in to help. Michael and Kevin played auctioneer, while Kenna and Corey acted as runners."

Sorry, Kenna! Your names sound too much alike. I edited the message to fix it for posterity.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

From the looks of the photo, I think Kenna is the only one who should have worn shorts. Denny
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson