I'm new and wanted to say hi

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
stpierce

I'm new and wanted to say hi

Post by stpierce »

I am a student at the U of A and have been keeping fish for almost a year now. I started with some livebearers in a ten gallon in my dorm room last year (which has now been moved to my new house). I now have a lightly planted 100 gallon freshwater tank with 3 angelfish, 10 cardinal tetras, a few white cloud mountain minnows, a rainbow shark, pleco, and female betta. I just had my first spawn with my angelfish and am now debating things like artificial raising of the angels and live foods for the fry. I have been trying to make it to a meeting for about 6 months now but have been unable to so far. It has been great to read many of your posts and I hope to meet some of you soon.
sumpnfishy

Re: I'm new and wanted to say hi

Post by sumpnfishy »

Welcome! I'm glad to have you on board. We have an angelfish master here in the club and I'm sure Corey can give you all the advice you need on those angels. I hope you can find a way to make it to a meeting some time. I live in Springdale so if you ever need to share a ride just look me up.
Michael
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

've been hoping we could get some connection to UA. Students make really good club members from my experience. Welcome to the Forum. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

New faces always get free door prizes at meetings. I'm planning to bring several types of plants to the next meeting. If you show up, maybe we can help turn that lightly planted aquarium into something more heavily planted-- and with plants guaranteed to be true aquatics, unlike some of the stuff sold in local shops.

Our next meeting is going to have elections of officers, and some voting on amendments to the constitution. But there is rumor that Mike Meyer of the Heartland of Aquarium Society will also be giving us a talk. I don't know if that's been confirmed.

Welcome to our group! We hope you stick around.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Welcome to the forums.

100 gallons of water with Angelfish spawning would sure be a sight to see. I look forward to hearing more about your adventures with those great fish!

Many members keep cultures of live foods and are usually willing to share samples to get your own cultures started. Some are quite easy to maintain such as vinegar eels and walter/banana worms.

Kevin
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

I checked my schedule and if the meeting is the second Saturday of the month I think I should be able to come to the November one. The angels in the 100 gallon are pretty fun to watch, they section off their own corner but it is still only about 1/8 of the tank. I would love to try to get hold of a relatively low maintenance food culture. I also have 1 big purple female kribensis if anyone knows where to get a male for her I would be very grateful.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

You're lucky they only want 1/8 of the tank. I had a 125 setup with about a dozen adults before we moved here. Whenever 2 would set up housekeeping, the remaining fish only had about 1/8 of the tank to swim in without being attacked. I could always tell when someone was thinking about spawning. Remind me Saturday, and I can bring a culture for you. Just let me know which you want. I've got Walter, banana, and microworms. Denny
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

I have kribensis, how many would you like, and would you like an albino female too?

Kevin
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

I am not really sure how many kribs I want. I have 3 angels in the tank (1 pair and a third wheel). My female krib is mature and I am afraid if I just get a male they won't form a pair. On the other hand I don't want to get a dozen and start a battle royal, angels vs kribs. Any thoughts you have on what might be the "right number" is going to be better than what I have. Thanks so much for offering to sell some.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Sell? Who said anything about selling?

Kevin
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Welcome, StPierce. Good to see a new face on the forum, and it will be even better to meet you at the November meeting.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

I feel all rude now, my name is Simon. Thanks so much for the welcome. I look forward to coming to the meeting in a few weeks.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Don't feel bad. That happens all the time with forum names. It was really interesting when several of us went to a cichlid show in KC a few weeks ago. We knew many people by their forum name, but didn't have a clue what their real names were, or what they looked like. with a name like dennysfishroom, you've got a pretty good idea what my real name is. Denny