Quilt batting for filter

DIY Projects or post where to find them
aulonocaraaddict

Quilt batting for filter

Post by aulonocaraaddict »

Ok so I got on this diy kick, sponge filters, caves, that kind of stuff and also I made some polishing/filter pads out of poly. Quilt batting. Anyone use this? I read it on the web somewhere and had some laying around so I figured why not and had some cases on my filter that can hold carbon/media/ect and cut some pieces and put them inside and closed it. Washed it really well and put it in the filter. I watched the flow and everthing looked good. Is there any reason that this should not be used any advice guys and gals? What do you think? Thanks!
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: Quilt batting for filter

Post by mewickham »

The polyester quilt batting should be okay. They do sometimes treat that stuff with chemicals to prevent mold and such, but if you washed it really well, I would think it would be okay. More dangerous is when people try to make foam filters out of poly foam. That stuff is often laced with chemicals that are dangerous to fish. And never use household sponges or scrubber pads to wipe algae. I've seen people wipe out tanks with those. Use only aquarium-store-bought algae scrubber pads.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
aulonocaraaddict

I checked the package and it did not say flame retardant. Infact it said flamable and showed not to be treated with anything. I actually use the large grouting sponges for my filters. Open cell, not treated and cheap lol. You can make 4 for less than 4 bucks!
aulonocaraaddict

Another question is it ok to run it all the time? I have heard if something polishes the water it can take out the elements?
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

If you're talking about the stuff I think you're talking about, you can run it all the time. I also wouldn't really call it a water polisher, either-- at least, not compared to diatomaceous earth. In any case, it shouldn't remove minerals, only detritus.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
aulonocaraaddict

Ok great! Thanks for your reply. That's what I thought but had seen a site where they said water polisher but I just wanted to use it as a redundant filter to make the water clearer. I like my water so clear that they look like they are swimming in air haha
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

The batting should be fine as long as it has something between it and any powerhead if you are using one. It tends to string out more than filter floss and can get wrapped around impellers. I use mostly air driven filtration and have a lot of batting around the fishroom.
aulonocaraaddict

Do you take yours out and clean it or replace it? Mine is put inside the media cartridges that come with the 400 marineland hob, so I shouldn't have a problem with stretching or stringing I wouldn't think.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Too tough to clean and too cheap to worry about it. I would just make sure there is something else that supports the biological filtration when you replace the batting.
aulonocaraaddict

I have 2 biowheels and my filter holds 4 filter cartridges as well. I also try to only switch one cartridge out at a time that way my loss of bacteria is minimal. Is that the best way to do it?
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

That should be a more than sufficient system for maintaining your biological filtration.

Kevin
aulonocaraaddict

Thanks for the reply! I was hoping so. I am not new to this but this is my first large aquarium so I am trying to get all the kinks and glitches figured out without to many problems and I appreciate your advice!