Hello from the Ouachita mountains.

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
Airbrusher

Hello from the Ouachita mountains.

Post by Airbrusher »

I just wanted to drop in and say Hi.....Originally from Tulsa, we now live in beautiful Mena,Arkansas....I've had an aquarium with some type of critter in it for most of my life. In the past couple of years i've started messing with planted aquariums and fell in love with their look and charm, and my fish love them...lol. I just started dabbling with DIY Co2 and i'm really enjoying the results as my plants are really takin off....Living in the middle of nowhere Arkansas has its perks but access to aquarium shops or related aquaculture isn't one of them...lol....I came here hoping to meet other like minded aquatic plant enthusiasts from nearby.

When it comes to fish, I've always been a fan of the Tiger barb so thats whats in our living room tank....a mix of Tigers, Green barbs and Albino's.....They are all adult fish and its a truely active tank....I just set up a 10gal in my office just for my granddaughter who lives with us,but as of yet we've been unable to make a trip to a bigger town to hit Petco so i'm not sure what we'll end up putting in it....leaning towards a guppy tank or a small school of neons. I recently acquired a 40gl breeder tank that will be a future project.....I hope to learn lots from all you folks in the know....thanks.

Michael
aulonocaraaddict

Re: Hello from the Ouachita mountains.

Post by aulonocaraaddict »

Welcome to the forum! There is some great people here. I'm new myself and Im happy I found this site:)
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Glad to have you with us. Feel free to drop in to our chat room every Monday night at 8 pm. Lot's of fun an friendship. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Welcome Michael. There a few of us who like to do some native fish collecting and one of my favorite areas takes me through Mena so maybe you can join us sometime!
Michael
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

It's good to see another planted aquarium fan. Welcome to our humble forum!

Regarding the tank for your youngster, I'd definitely add at least one kind of livebearer. Platies are a good choice and hardier than guppies. You'll get kids hooked on the hobby faster when the fish have babies. Plus, it's an excuse to buy more tanks!
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
Airbrusher

Post by Airbrusher »

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'd be honored to tag along on any fish or plant gathering adventure that took place near Mena....That sounds fun.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Oh, it is fun!
The rattlesnakes alone make it worth it. :D

Kevin
Airbrusher

Post by Airbrusher »

At one time I was fairly involved within the Oklahoma herp society, Tulsa Zoo reptile dept, and even served as a board member of the Tulsa Snake club for a couple of years.....so needless to say I ain't skeered of runnin into a rattler....I usually welcome the encounter....So bring'm on....lol
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I can't say I'm afraid of them but usually the conversation goes something like this:
Me: Kevin, come look at this huge rattlesnake under this rock.
Kevin: Sweet, I'll be right there.
Me: You brought your snake hook? See you later.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Just for fun, we ought to expand one of our field trips to look specifically for non-fishy critters. It's been a while since I've turned over a bunch of logs.
Mike Wickham
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Mike,

My experience has been that the two activities can be mutually exclusive because of time constraints and clothing.

I am not a big fan of bush whacking and turning logs in swimming trunks and water socks. :o

I would be happy to go turning logs with you some day though if you would like. :D

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Good point, Kev. I guess the weather is now too cold to do it, but we'll definitely do it next spring.
Mike Wickham
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

My favorite snake story went something like this:

The setting: Driving down a dusty road in a swamp in southeast Missouri. I am driving. Michael and another fish buddy are riding along. We are talking fish.

The truck slams to a stop in the middle of the road.

Me: There's a snake, saying that as I jump out of the truck and head for the back.

Michael and other friend: Cool... (worried looks, but curious)

Me: Grabbing my snake hook and running up the road towards the snake

Michael: Looking more closely at the snake as I come running up: "Whoa, you know it is poisonous, right?"

Me: Yeah, cottonmouth, isn't it cool?

Michael and Friend get back in the truck with worried looks about their friend's sanity
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Here's a little guide when collecting with Kevin: If he asks whether you want to see what is in the net, check his other hand. If he is holding the bottom of the net it's probably a fish. If not, don't get your face too close.
Airbrusher

Post by Airbrusher »

Sounds like were gonna get along just fine....lol :D