Looking for some different cichlids

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
LoveMyPleco

Looking for some different cichlids

Post by LoveMyPleco »

I'm looknig for different kinds of cichlids if anyone has any they are wanting to downsize. I am particularly looking for larger fish, since most of my tanks are larger size cichlids.

Let me know!

Jenn
Honey, Just one more fish..please....
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I see you keep several species of Malawi cichlids. Are you looking for more of those, or are you wanting to diversify a little? In September there is a big cichlid auction, but it's in Iowa. I may make it there but I don't know if anyone else is planning to try. In November there is an auction in Kansas City that we have a part in that should have a good selection of cichlids, even some larger ones most likely.
Michael
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

I think I'm looking for anything really...I have several different tanks and always trying to get more. As soon as the big pond outside is dug and comlpeted and the koi and goldfish go out I will have an extra 100 gallon. I have seen pics of Kandango Reds?? and they are very colorful, but have never seen one in person. I also like the looks of the Moorii, Misas Cichlid, and I really like the Malawi Blue Dolphin, but have not seen any of these, just pictures. A few of our tanks are wierdly diverse and I have had people mention they are surprised there is not a war going on in them but ALL of my tanks are very peaceful. I watch closely to see if anyone needs to be removed andplaced in a new tank.
I did find a Texas cichlid this past week but decided against it when the shop owener said he had been returned twice, after emptying the tank contents. Mean, mean, mean!!
Kansas City might be doable for us, we live in Little Rock. I wish this group had some ind of sale, I can do the drive to Rogers!!
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Michael,

Are the auctions just like any other auctions, where you bid against other people or does each person set up booths and sel their fish individually? I really wish I could go to Iowa to see different types of cichlids, but you know how life is.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

The Kandango reds are Copadichromis borleyi which should act very similar to your red empress and electric blues (likely Scianochromis fryeri). If the moorii you are referring to are "Haplochromis" moorii, then they are the same fish as blue dolphins and are a good fish to keep. They would actually do quite will with the other fish mentioned about. They get bigger, but aren't too aggressive.
Denny has some nice peacocks you may be interested in but they may all still be pretty small.
As far as auctions go: yes, they are like a normal auction. The auctioneers aren't quite as fast (I am one quite a lot, "real" auctioneers can't pronounce the latin names!), but otherwise it's the same. There are swap meets occasionally where people have tables set up. there is actually a swapmeet in KC in two weeks, but it's only the second one ever so I don't know that it will be too big.
Maybe we can all help keep a lookout for you!
Michael
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Found these on aquabid. If you've never had fish shipped to you before it can be a hard jump to make, but it's pretty easy. You just want to make sure the shipper knows you've never gotten fish that way before. But I imagine shipping on this one will run about $30 so it would cost about $60 for the six fish which I think MAY be a little high for these, but it would be far less than retail.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlidsmh&1188125403
And here's one for some blue dolphins. This one is a pretty good deal.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcichlidsmh&1188021600
dennysfishroom

Big fish

Post by dennysfishroom »

Hi Jenn,

Actually I do have several East Africans (males) in the 4-6 inch range. I know I've got 6-7 albino Rubescens Peacock males, and 3 OB Ahli males. I probably have another 6-8 Peacock varieties where a few of the males are just starting to color up, but they are more in the 1 1/2 inch range. I've also got some adult angel fish I'd like to find a good home for. Maybe if you make it to one of our Saturday meetings, you can come out and look at what I've got. Thanks. Denny
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Michael,
I 've been looking on ebay and aquabid and monster fish keepers for awhile but I'm sooo leary of having fish shipped. Everyone guantees the fish but not shipping and it sounds like a situation that could cost alot in money!! But I'm holding out...and I've been looking on Craiglists for someone who may have some that have outgrown their tanks.

Denny,

I emailed you a couple of weeks ago, the next time we come your way I'll call before and I hope to see some of your fish. I am really interested in some of yuor larger fish!!

I mentioned to my husband the Sept meeting, we may try to make a weekend of it depending on costs of a room. etc. Its just too far to fry the 3 someodd hours and try to do anything then drive it home!
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

I've got 3 god sized Festivums I wouldn't mind parting with. One's an F0 female and another is a F1 male. Never paid attention to the third. If you're interested, shoot me a pm
Dinosfishhouse

Post by Dinosfishhouse »

I ship and receive fish on almost a weekly basis.

If done correctly, it is no big deal.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I'm not sure a god sized festivum would fit in her tanks! :lol:
Jenn, sounds like a couple of good offers. When the time comes though don't be afraid of having fish shipped in. Most sellers won't guarantee live delivery unless they fully expect there to be no problems, and many add a fish or two just in case there is a loss. I've shipped and received a LOT of fish and have not once had losses bad enough to worry about.
Michael
TylerMatheny

Post by TylerMatheny »

Severums, Uaru, festium. These are all larger cichlids that I know of.
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Woo Hoo, I will be picking up two small Frontosa tomorrow or Saturday!!! Found them today for avery good price!! They will go with the small guys until they get larger!
Colby

Post by Colby »

Frontosas are my fav Lake Tanganyika cichlid

nice find
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Picked up the Frontosa's yesterday, beautiful!! Also added a Midas cichlid to the household!

I came across a 55 gallon tank with decoration, NO stand and a few larger sized cichlids. The is a 3 inch or so yellow lab, a peacock of some kind, and a few others I don not know what they are. Beautiful fish. I do not need another tank, but they are wanting $150.00 for it all (they had a 14-15 inch sailfin? pleco and I picked him up yesterday). Is $150.00 expensive for having no stand? The lights are nice and has nice decorations and the tank looks brand new...what you you guys think?
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Yes, even if you include the value of the fish (which I don't when buying used tanks) that is way too much. You can pick up a new tank for that. My general rule of thumb on any used tank less than 75 gallons (tank alone) is to never spend more than $1 to $1.50 per gallon, no matter what might come with it (lights, filters, fish, etc.).
Michael
dennysfishroom

Used 55

Post by dennysfishroom »

Everyone's got their own idea as to what's cheap and what's expensive, but as a general rule I usually don't pay any more than half of new for used stuff for my personal use, and often less. It's hard to judge on fish, so I wouldn't put a value on them for a setup unless they were really something I wanted. Someone else may put a different value on what they're looking at, but that just seems to be my break point and personal opinion. Denny
Colby

Post by Colby »

Watch that Midas around those Frontosas it could be trouble
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

The midas is in with itself right now, he's in quarantine. The little frontosa are sooo cute!! I have 6 tanks, and another on the way so we'll get everyone adjusted.

What does everyone suggest the Midas go with? I have a tank that has much larger Red Empresses and Electric Blue, they are larger than him, will that be a good fit?
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

The midas is likely to be the most aggressive fish you have. In fact, the midas is one of the more aggressive fish to have, period. He may be okay for now, but may still be too aggressive even if he is too small. The only combo that might be okay is with the jack dempsey.
Michael
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Oh great!! Well the lady did not know what he was and to my best guess at pictures on the internet and a book, hes a Midas. He may have t find another home if he can't be nice!
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

http://www.cichlidforum.com/profiles/species.php?id=113
Check out the link for a little more info on the midas.
Michael
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Well I'm not sure what I have then, because he looks nothing like that! Who knows......guess thats what I get for answering a "take my fish ad".
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

YEP YEP thats him. mine is super orange red and mottled white on him. Hmm, now I'm wondering what I can put him in with, I think I'll try the large guys in a few days and see if they can get their bluff in on him.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Keep us informed on his behavior. Sometimes, though rare, you can get away with combinations like that.
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

ou just never know. I may not be willing to pay $150 for it but someone else might. I always figure, if you are happy with the deal, then it's a good deal no matter what others think.
I have access to a used 55 for $50 if someone is interested.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
LoveMyPleco

Post by LoveMyPleco »

Hey Michael,

I DID IT!!!

I ordered fish online!! I feel like a big fish girl now...lets just see what they look like when they arrive. I bid on one of the auctions you sent me on Aqaubid! I have some little Blue Dolphins coming!! Whoo HOO!!

Jenn