Florescent Light Fixture Saga

Aquariums - Filters - Heaters - Lighting - Accessories
dennysfishroom

Florescent Light Fixture Saga

Post by dennysfishroom »

I just had to replace another fl. light in the fishroom. The cheapest one they had was around $13, but the strange thing about it was that it was black on the reflecting surface. I'll admit it was a shiny black, but I'm not sure that's going to give the most light. One outlet seems to be the culprit here, so we'll see what happens over time. Now who's going to figure out exactly which replacement ballast I need to get the 6-7 striplights that need a new one repaired , Corey? If I can get a new fixture for $13, they they have to be cheap as well as small (probably no more than 1' dimensions (W &H) to fit in the fixture. If I can find some cheap ballasts, I'm probably fixed for life on fixtures. Otherwise I have to find a place to dispose of all the broken fixtures. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Re: Florescent Light Fixture Saga

Post by sskruzr »

You talking about workshop lights? If so and you wanna replace the ballasts, I doubt you can find ballasts as cheap as $13. Now if you wanna replace the guts with new guts, you might look at the Nova T-5 lights. I've been eyeing these for some time but haven't taken the plunge. They're relatively inexpensive and don't use much electricity.
Also I have a couple of working shoplights, you or anyone else are welcome to.
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

These are all the ones with burned out ballasts. Someone got to have cheap electronic ballasts. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

Twin tube workshop lights?
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Denny, if you take your bad ballasts into an electrical supplier, they should be able to find suitable replacements. You might try AMO Electric, 2214 S. 8th St. in Rogers (I've used them before) or Locke Wholesale Electric Supply, 2301 W 6th St. (corner of Walnut St.) in Rogers.

You're probably better off to buy new fixtures, though. If they are $13 and come with bulbs, that's a steal. I'd be happy to help you with it sometime after the holidays.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair