Exotic Tropicals is Closing Down

Dealers may post specials, newsletters, events, etc. Everyone may post discussions of fishes or dry goods you may have seen available at local stores.
Forum rules
Everyone:
This section is for everyone to post specials or notes about interesting fish and items that they may have seen in a local store. It is NOT for discussing the stores' business practices or customer disputes. Please keep it friendly and related to the topic at hand. Any other content will be deleted.

Dealers:
Please feel free to post your new arrivals, specials, newsletters, events, and so forth. We appreciate our local dealers and want to help you grow your business. It is NWAAS' way of giving back to the stores that support our fabulous hobby.
NOTE: By "dealers" we mean aquarium-related businesses, such as aquarium stores, pet shops, breeders, and other businesses that sell aquarium livestock and/or supplies.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Exotic Tropicals is Closing Down

Post by mewickham »

I was just in speaking to James at Exotic Tropicals, today. He has decided to close his store by the end of the year. You all may want to stop in and see about wrangling some deals. And be sure to thank James for his past service to the hobby and the community. He's a good guy. Both he and his store will be missed. This is sad news.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
aulonocaraaddict

Re: Exotic Tropicals is Closing Down

Post by aulonocaraaddict »

Really. I have been lookin at some fish he has. When is he planning on shutting down by? Any idea on how good of a deal he's givin on them?
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

He just said "by the end of this year." I took that to mean December 31st. I'm not sure what kind of dealing he is doing. I didn't notice going-out-of-business signs or sale signs or anything. There really isn't much left. So I guess he's just letting things wind down, but he did say he would be willing to make some deals on things and I told him I'd pass it on.
Mike Wickham
aulonocaraaddict

Ok thanks!
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I was afraid of that. The last few times I've been in there, things seemed to be getting "tired".
I wonder if they would donate any of the left over stuff to the club?
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I suggested that if he had anything left over, he should consider placing it in our upcoming auction. It would help us both out.
Mike Wickham
aulonocaraaddict

I went into the shop today and got a peacock. Have no idea what he is. Blue face and body with yellow forehead and fins/tail. I will do some research tonight. I have no idea why but he's really thin. Think he was in the tank with a larger more aggressive male. He is going to be very pretty though, he is not even coming close to showing all his colors yet. He also tossed in 3 peacock fry about 1 to 1.5 inches long for free (all have egg spots on anal fin). He had no idea what kind they were but hey they were free :D they have some great deals right now.
aulonocaraaddict

I think he's a lemon jake. Once he settles in and starts to color up I will take some pics and see what you guys think.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I had thought that Exotic Tropicals was closing by year-end of 2009, but heard for several months after that that the store was still open. When I went round today, the store was locked, but there is no sign posted saying that they have gone out of business. The windows are painted over, so you can't tell if there's anything inside. Does anyone know if Exotic Tropicals has officially closed?
Mike Wickham
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Today's Sunday paper has a Going Out of Business Sale ad for Exotic Tropicals in the classified section. So I guess they are still there.
Mike Wickham
Jackielee

Post by Jackielee »

Someone look for bargains there!
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

what are the hours, are they open sundays? i tried calling but the phone is shut off(14796368265)
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

Good question! They had some hours posted on the door when I was there recently, but even though I was there when the store was supposed to be open, it was not. As I recall, the listed hours were something like 12-5, closed on Sundays. But you take your chances showing up.
Mike Wickham
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

yep, they were closed yesterday(sunday). the door said 1pm-6pm monday-saturday, closed sunday
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

good news!!! i went to exotic tropicals today and the guy in the store said the store had been bought again and was going to restocked in a month
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I heard a rumor that Saltwater Depot was going to move into that spot. It sounds like the rumor is true!
Mike Wickham