Convicts in a 100 gallon pond?

From angelfish to zebra cichlids
kribkid17

Convicts in a 100 gallon pond?

Post by kribkid17 »

I've been researching and I noticed alot of websites say cons can tolerate a bit of cooler temps, and they are really hardy. Since all my goldfish, but one, died I was thinking that a pair of cons would make good residents in the pond since the water is warmer right now and will probably stay warm until late setpember. Do you think I could leave the goldfish in the pond or would he get bullied?(he is about 6-7 inches) I know cons are really aggresive and tough. Also, does anyone have any reasons not too? I would use the fry as feeders to my geos as that might be a bit of a spawning trigger. The parents I could sell or give to a fish store. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Evan
Jackielee

Re: Convicts in a 100 gallon pond?

Post by Jackielee »

Convicts would be fine in the bond. Never know for sure how they would treat the goldfish. Might be fine or could get beat. I put some in my turtle pond this summer and i am anxious to see what went on with them.
eveliens

Post by eveliens »

I don't see any problem. You've got a place for the fry to go and that's the biggest problems with cons. They should be perfectly fine in the pond. I've actually summer-ed lots of cichlids in tubs without problems.
http://hubpages.com/profile/eveliens ~ Give a visit. My fishkeeping articles. Warnings: might save you time and promote MTS
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

Thank you, I will be getting a pair from exotic tropicals this weekend, I saw a really nice female in there last time I was there and she looked like she had a boyfriend so I'll try to get them.
P.s. I am a cichlid not, not a minnow!
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

I got my pair but male was a questionable. They dived straight to the bottom and hid in the leaf litter. I hope they do good. They both have very pretty fins and pretty bellies.
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

Well I probably looked pretty weird to my neighbors, I had a flashlight and I was looking in the pond at my cons because there is too glare on the surface during the day to see in. Now that they have adjusted I was able to see thier true colors better, The "pair" consists of a very pretty female and a "male" that has glittery fins but doesn't have any orange on it's belly, yet the guy at exotic Tropicals was calling it a girl. It has decent filaments coming off it's fins so I thought it was a male. The pair was swimming with each other but the would sometimes flare and "headbut" one another. Do you think this is pair behavior or if I have two females would they be chasing each other off of their territories?
Btw, the mosquitofish I put in the pond aren't working, I still got eaten alive by Mosquitos and I have the welts to prove it. :cry:
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Mosquitofish of the genus gambusia are much more effective at eating eggs of other fish than they are mosquitoes. If you want something that eats mosquitoes I would suggest you get a native topminnow, such as the black-spotted topminnow. They will survive year round in your pond and eat a lot more bugs.

Kevin
kribkid17

Post by kribkid17 »

Well I went to check out my fish and I saw the male around the flower pot so i stuck my hand in to turn the pot so I could see in it and he just charged my pinky finger and bit! He didn't want to let go either. He packed alot of punch for such a small fish. I guess I'll be selling them at the auction too.