What do you look for?

Barbs, danios, gouramies, tetras, and other fish that don't fit into the above categories
etheonut

What do you look for?

Post by etheonut »

Ok ladies and gentlemen,

We have a wonderfully academic and energetic discussion going about the bylaws someplace else on this forum. It is pretty interesting, you should stop over and see it, but fortunately this isn't a forum on organization policy or small group politics, it is a about fish and all things related. So, I thought I might breath a little life back into that part of the discussion.

I have had the wonderful opportunity in the past 48 hours to poke my head into 4 different pet stores. These ranged from big box stores to smaller "regional chain" stores. I enjoy just going to visit, sometimes to my wife's frustration. :)

These particular visit were interesting as I reflected on them, because as a result, I have actually changed my opinion on one of the shops from "probably don't need to go there unless I am bored" to "this will be my new primary shop to visit." This is a full 180 degree swing obviously, and it was caused by really a very simple combination of factors. On the other hand one of the shops went from, "a place to pick up supplies on occasion" to "don't care if I ever go there again." Now this change didn't happen over night. The store seems to have been working on earning this status with me for quite some time. So, I won't bad mouth the second store, but I will tell you what changed my mind about the first. After that, I would like to hear from all of you. What makes your favorite store your favorite store? What do you look for in an aquarium shop?

This was the second time I have visited the store this month. The first thing that began to change my mind was the person working there recognized me and said hi. Keep in mind, he hadn't seen me in 3 weeks or more. When I was in last we did have a long discussion about fish and the fish trade. After recognizing me, he immediately asked me to help one of his customers identify fish from the "mixed cichlids of the world" tank. When the three of us were done identifying cichlids and talking about cichlid behavior the worker asked if I needed anything. As usual, I responded with, "just grazing." He didn't bother me then as I looked through the selection of fish. When I had stopped he asked me a surprising question, "You mentioned wanting to see my fish list. I have it here, would you like to look through it?" He wasn't holding a list of his current inventory, he was holding a list from their wholesaler, prices included. I of course jumped at the opportunity having not seen a wholesale list from this supplier before and as any fish head should be, curious about the possibilities. He started helping customers and I started drooling, not over the prices, but over the shear diversity that was available to the store. He came back a few minutes later and asked if I could point out the "shell dwellers" that I had purchased out of the "mixed cichlids of the world" tank on my last visit. I found them listed on the paper and pointed them out. He asked me if he wanted a bag ordered. I had expressed disappointment on the last visit that they only had 2 (which I purchased, both girls). I declined the offer, not knowing when I would make it back to the store again. He then handed me a pen and asked me to circle fish on their list that are "interesting like the shell dwellers" so that his boss could see it. I happily obliged.

I was in that store for nearly an hour. I helped customers, chatted with the employee, and ogled the colony of 12 adult rams that were competing for space in one of his tanks. I left with no fish. I did though by some dry goods for more money than I would normally spend on them. It is 3pm here today and the store is an hour, I won't say that I am not tempted to make that drive again today.

So, what do I look for? I look for customer service. I look for a willingness in the store to improve and listen to feedback from their customers. I also look for a good selection of fishes at a reasonable price. Anybody want to guess why I won't bother to go back in the other store?

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Re: What do you look for?

Post by mewickham »

First off, spill the beans on the store names and locations. We might want to visit!

There are a lot of things I look for in a store. Most important is healthy fish. The fish have to look like they are happy and well fed. The next thing I look for is selection. The more, the better. I like choices and I especially like to see species that aren't common. Rotation of stock is also important. Isn't it fun to see something new every time you go into a store? The Petcos and Petsmarts may have very nice stores, but they are run with planograms. You see the same species in the same location, not only every time you walk in, but every time you walk into a different store in the same chain. Homogeny! Blah!

Having a freshwater leaning, the next thing I look for is live aquatic plants. It's amazing how many aquarium shops don't stock them at all, or if they do stock plants, they are actually bog plants that won't live long underwater. I'm sure what happens is that they put their plants in poor conditions with insufficient light. This kills the soft aquatic plants first. The woody bog plants take longer to die and rot, giving the false impression that they are hardier. So that's what the stores reorder. (These stores are also unlikely to sell the lighting systems that are necessary to keep most plants happy.)

The next thing I look for is live food. In my opinion, every aquarium store should sell live blackworms and live brine shrimp. It's not only a way to make money, it's a way to keep customers coming in regularly-- and they buy other things. And, of course, it's way better for the fish! Man, my fish are lovin' the blackworms we ordered this week. Sadly, I'm aware of no local store where I can purchase these items. I don't believe any of the local aquarium shops even stock feeder fish. At least Petco and Petsmart fill that need.

The stores I like best offer expertise. Sadly, most of the people working in pet stores seem to know little about fish. Aquarium stores are better. Fortunately, the crews we have working in our three local aquarium shops seem to be dedicated and fairly knowledgeable. They have all been very hospitable to me, letting me take photographs for use in my books and magazine articles.

Although I don't have need for it, hobbyists should also look for stores that provide services, such as water testing, air pump repairs, etc.

The last thing I look for in a store is price. I don't like to pay too much, but those who put price first tend to come home with inferior goods. In the case of fish, inferior goods die. That's no bargain.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Ten zebra danios at $1, 6 live, average price of $1.67.
Ten zebra danios at $1.50. All live. That's pretty easy math!

I look for customer service first. If I walk into a shop where people know me I don't expect much because they know if I need something I'll let them know. If on the other hand I am in a shop for the first time and nobody asks if I need help, I will walk out and not come back again regardless of the quality or variety of the stock. I have walked out of a store that had fish I was looking for because the staff was too busy chatting to notice I was even there.
Secondly is the variety. I would say fish health, but I feel that should be a minimum requirement of ANY fish store. I want to see fish I can't get at a big box store. That being said, there are occasions where I am looking for a little bread and butter and it is a bit annoying when a store doesn't carry certain species because they are too common. If they are so common why doesn't anyone carry them??
Sundance

Post by Sundance »

mewickham wrote:Homogeny! Blah!
:D

I agree with everything all ready posted by everyone. I'd add that I count bonus points for creative (yet healthy) displays, i.e. shells with the shell dwellers, black lights on the Glofish, et al. And cleanliness of tanks and shop is a must.
S u n d a n c e
"Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience." Emerson