I'm new and wanted to say hi

Tell us about yourself! Find tips on using our forum.
aulonocaraaddict

I'm new and wanted to say hi

Post by aulonocaraaddict »

Hello everyone! I just joined and wanted to say hello. I have had fish for many years and recently decided to switch to african cichlids and have fell in love with them! I have 2 wonderful kigoma frontosa (needing more), 2 rainbow fish, and am waiting for a wc aulonoca "blue neon" trio! Trying to be patient lol. Oh almost forgot a beautiful christmas fulu male that I found at walmart (major score!!) It was mixed in with the mbuna and I just happened to see him since he was very pale in color and tore up pretty bad! He's in his own hospital tank till he gets better. Well sorry so long just wanted to tell you a little about my new found love of african cichlids which brought me to your club. Looking forward to possibly going to some swaps and talking to you all! :)
sumpnfishy

Re: I'm new and wanted to say hi

Post by sumpnfishy »

Welcome to the forum! I split your post off so we can welcome you in your own thread.
If you like peacocks then Denny is your guy. Careful though, you may end up with a bunch of them if you hang around him TOO much!
Cool find at Walmart. Unless you know Victorians REALLY well though I would be careful about the identification. A lot of them can look very much alike and are hard to identify if you don't know the source.
Michael
aulonocaraaddict

Thank you for your reply. I love peacocks and I have talked to denny about needing some more frontosa maybe I need some more peacocks too lol. I love the lake vics too and did a good 6 months of reasearch on the african cichlids. If I knew how to post a pic I would and that way I could have my christmas fulu identification confirmed. I may be needing some more of them. He loves to fight with hims reflection and always is very happy to see me, which is very nice!
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

If you room for them I have a small group of Haplochromis "fire Uganda" you could have. Look them up, they are pretty cool looking.
Michael
aulonocaraaddict

I would love to have some! Beautiful beautiful fish!! That would be great. I have found lake vic cichlids are a hard to get around here. Atleast that's my experience anyways.
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

Welcome to the forum,

Lake Victorian fishes can be hard to get anywhere these days, honestly.

Kevin
aulonocaraaddict

Ok then its not just me having a hard time finding them then. I have even considered ordering them on ebay which I am very unsure of. They are so beautiful and my little guy (the one I think is a christmas fulu) eat out of my hand! I've only had him for 4 days. Such great personality!
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

check out www.aquabid.com it is the fish equivalent of ebay.

Kevin
aulonocaraaddict

Thank you. Thats a great site, a lot of fish on there. Has anyone used them? I am just worried about stress on them. I am really glad that I found the nwaas site!
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

When you ship fish, there is always the potential for problems, but it usually works okay if you're going with an experienced shipper. The odds are probably more in your favor than going with a Walmart. Petco and Petsmart are okay if yo really watch what you're buying. That would apply to the LFS, too, but it's usually easier to get reliable info from them. I've had mostly good luck on AquaBid. we can give you tips when you are to that point. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
aulonocaraaddict

Thanks! I would appreciate all the tips I can get. I want to make my fishies as happy and healthy as possible.
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

sluyterbp wrote:Looking forward to possibly going to some swaps and talking to you all! :)
Welcome to the forum! We hope to see you at some of the upcoming meetings. Too bad you didn't show up a little earlier. A few of us went to Kansas City yesterday to attend the HAAS swap meet, and we probably could have squeezed in another person. We snagged a few bargains and visited some of the local shops. Our group is still smallish, but very active. I think we've been averaging close to one field trip a month, in addition to our monthly meetings.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
aulonocaraaddict

That would have been fun! I have 2 sons, one 3yr old and a 4 month old so my time is a little limited and will most likely just be able to make it to a few things around here for awhile. What kind of bargains you guys get, if you don't mind me asking. Anyone come across some frontosa? I talked to denny previously through his website and he said he might come across some. I'm needing a few to keep down the aggression in my two guys now. You guys are all so nice and I appreciate all your comments.
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Just saw this on the eastern Iowa Aquarium site:

For Sale: Blue Mpimbwe f1 frontosa offspring and Parachromis dovii offspring

* For Sale: Blue Mpimbwe f1 frontosa offspring 1- 1 1/2 inch long $6/fish
* For Sale: Parachromis dovii offspring 1/2 inch long $1/fish

Contact Brad at bp4isu@yahoo.com

FYI Denny
aulonocaraaddict

Thanks Denny I will contact them sounds like a great buy. Michael (sumpnfishy) I sent you a pm on the fire uganda. Just let me know :) thanks again
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

sluyterbp wrote:What kind of bargains you guys get, if you don't mind me asking.
I got about a dozen and a half cherry shrimp for $5. I think stores usually sell these for close to that for a single shrimp! I also picked up an unidentified plant that was labeled as hornwort, but clearly was not. I thought it might be Hydrilla, but looking it up in a book, it appears to be Elodea nuttallii, an anacharis-like plant, with much smaller, skinnier leaves. I also picked up a couple of hard to find books.
Mike Wickham
sskruzr
NWAAS Treasurer

Post by sskruzr »

AND I GET FIRST DIBBS ON YOUR CHERRY SHRIMP OFFSPRING!!
Corey Mohrhauser
NWAAS Treasurer, Auction Chair
One planet, one chance, DO NOT SCREW IT UP
aulonocaraaddict

Wow that's a great deal! I wouldn't mind some offspring myself. I'm going to have to get some more tanks. I'm addicted to this hobby lol. I call my fish my babies and my husband thinks its funny when I talk to them. I think he is really starting to like them though he was showing them off this weekend when we had visitors :)
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

Sorry about the delay in my saying "Welcome!"... We have been fighting flu in our household and I haven't been doing a very good job of doing anything other than sleep. H1N1 really is a nasty, nasty thing.

If there is a specific fish you are looking for, stop in at one of the local fish stores (LFS) and ask if they can order it for you.

We will be having a live chat at 8 pm (central time) this evening, stop in and say hi!
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.
aulonocaraaddict

Hello, I am so sorry. We have had several people around this area including some family and close friends and several have been in the hospital because of N1H1. I hope you are all better soon! I will try to stop in tonight for the live chat.
ajgarcia

Post by ajgarcia »

Hi
im sorta new around here, maby a few months on this site and im intristed in crayfish and south american cichlids. I know its not a very good combination but it depends on what type of crayfish i in particular have a marbled cray ( self cloning kind :o) and its well cloned its self :!: I have German Blue rams that i bought from sskruzr and they are doin great if your wondering :). I also have 2 angel fish and black neon tetras. I'd just like to say hi and hope you have a good time on this site :D

sin :twisted: cerely,
Aaron Garcia :ugeek:
if the grass is greener on the other side then i bet the water bill is higher too :D
aulonocaraaddict

I tryed to join in on the chat but my blackberry wouldn't let me submit :( maybe next time I will be able to get on the computer. Too bad because I wanted to say hi to everyone
aulonocaraaddict

I love the rams, only if I had more tanks lol. Everyone is so nice and I love talking with every one!
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

There is a disease inherent in keeping fish. It's called MTS. That's multiple tank syndrome. Denny
aulonocaraaddict

:D well..... I think I caught it lol.
ajgarcia

Post by ajgarcia »

Hi
i think i got that disease badly then. Lets see i got a 10 gallon tank a 29 gallon tank three 1 gallon tanks :D . I also want a 55 gallon tank so i can get discus fish like my dad and grandpa before me :). Oh im kinda young too, 14 to be exact :o . So money for all these is a little tight right now :cry:
if the grass is greener on the other side then i bet the water bill is higher too :D
aulonocaraaddict

Ya I'd say you caught it! Nice collection. Wish I could have had that when I was your age. All I had was a 10 gallon when I was 10 yrs old and then when I got older I never had less than 3. Wish I had more now. Maybe the 200 gallon I've been dreaming of hehe. Have to wait till my kidos get bigger first though.
aulonocaraaddict

Ok I found this site ( aquatier.com ) that sell acrylic shelves. I want something smooth in my tank for my frontosa because they are clumsy and I don't want them to get hurt. Plus I think they are really neat. What do you guys think?
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

sluyterbp wrote:Ok I found this site ( aquatier.com ) that sell acrylic shelves. I want something smooth in my tank for my frontosa because they are clumsy and I don't want them to get hurt. Plus I think they are really neat. What do you guys think?
Everyone has their own sense of style. For me, nothing but natural decorations are in order-- driftwood, rocks, plants. In the wild, frontosas are found in rocky zones. I'd pick some large, smooth rocks to decorate their tank.
Mike Wickham
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

Those are kind of cool and not too expensive. They might work for an interesting display if camouflaged well.
BUT for the frontosa tank, not necessary. If you don't want to work with the weight of large rocks and don't mind the unnatural look then you may want to look at large pieces of pvc or large flowerpots. The flower pots really don't look too bad once they have been in the tank a while. I've got some in some rather natural looking tanks and they don't stand out at all. PVC always looks like PVC though.
Michael