Experience with Riccia (Crystalwort)?

Add some green (or red or pink or purple) to your aquarium!
stpierce

Experience with Riccia (Crystalwort)?

Post by stpierce »

I was thinking about getting some Riccia fluitans (Crystalwort) to put in a tank with medium lighting and a little bit of extra co2 added. I was would like to try and grow it on some rocks and wood pieces. Do any of yall have some experience with the plant and maybe some insight?
etheonut

Re: Experience with Riccia (Crystalwort)?

Post by etheonut »

Please define "medium light" in terms of watts per gallon and how tall is the tank?

Kevin
mewickham
NWAAS President

Post by mewickham »

I've tried it twice without success. I don't use CO2, though, so maybe that would make a difference. I have plenty of lighting (220 watts of PC fluorescent on a 75-gallon). In both instances, the stuff fell apart fast. It also brought along some nice duckweed and hair algae into my tank.

In both instances, I tried growing it the way intended by nature-- as a floating plant. I've never been a fan of the tie-it-to-submerged-rocks look.
Mike Wickham
http://mikewickham.com
NWAAS Webmaster, Publicity Chair
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

I would probably start it off on my standard 10 gallon that has 3 15watt compact fluorescent spiral light. I run them on a short cycle with a DIY co2.
sumpnfishy

Post by sumpnfishy »

I have had success as a floating plant. To grow it submerged like Amano does it takes a LOT of light and even more work to keep it looking nice.
Michael
etheonut

Post by etheonut »

4 watts to the gallon should be sufficient, I have grown it floating under slightly less light.

You will also need a mature tank, it sure isn't a plant you can introduce as one of the first plants in your tank.

Kevin
HiroPro

Post by HiroPro »

I've had in my tanks before. It will require med - hi light and co2. It will not root to rocks or wood. It will need to be covered in mesh and then mesh secured to the rock or wood. If you do this be sure to trim it regularly otherwise the bottom layers will die out and it will begin to float free. In my opinion its a major pita and becomes almost like duckweed in the tank when pieces start floating everywhere. I finally just let it float on the surface in a big mat.
Good luck!
Ryan
dennysfishroom

Post by dennysfishroom »

Good to see that yopu're still checking in with us occasionally, Ryan. Denny
If it was easy, anyone could do it!
stpierce

Post by stpierce »

Thanks so much for all of your responses, after hearing what yall had to say I think I may try to find some sort of other plant that is interesting to me. Seriously though, thanks for taking some time to help me out.
pinkrblu

Post by pinkrblu »

I have tried it twice myself, and both times it was a bust. Is there another easier plant that would give us the same basic look?
~Kenna
I can stop buying fish anytime I want. Seriously.